60mph front brake failure 06 Dyna

Re: 60mph front brake failure 06 Dyna

Well the brakes are awesome.. just so damned good!
The bike ended up costing ?1600 to get done and through the MOT though.. from a bike with 15000 miles on it and less than 3 years old (did mot 2 months early).
Things I had been told by Harley had been done had not been done at all.
The back wheel was mis-aligned (which may also have helped knacker the brake) this meant the belt and pulleys were shot.
No grease in headstock or swingarm bearings so they were rusted to f$%k and getting towards being dangerous.
Very pleased with her now though.... try out the guy who worked on her
Motorcycle Customising Service Tuning Repairs for Harley Davidson & Metric Cruisers
His name is Steve and I would recommend him very highly!

Brake Pad Failure - Front & Rear

Brake Pad Failure - Front & Rear

Sorry to open old wounds, but this 'oldie' hit me last week approaching a roundabout just outside Royston, when my trusty '06 Street Bob spat out its near-side rear pad, leaving the plate making sparks against the disc. Only thing you feel at first is loadsa travel on the brake-lever. Glad it was only the rear and not the front, otherwise it would have been recovery time, although when you can't use the rear, it does seem to be more useful than you thought it was.

Did another 50+ miles on one brake, and changed to EBC pads. Bought two sets on eBay for ?35 with free p&p next day (did search for 'FXDBi Brake Pads' and bingo...). Easy to swop out except for near-side rear, where relocating (forcing back) forward piston was a bugger, as it's obscured by the disc, and hard to get any leverage access.

Now for the remaining pads: all FU*KED. The other rear pad fell apart, and both fronts are delaminating - cracks between pad and metal plate evident.

Thanks to Chilly for lending me a socket small enough to get the retaining bolts out. Couldn't find anything metric that would fit, so it ended up as some obscure socket size.

Will take the pads up to Black Bear on Saturday for comment (like they're going to...NOT).

Happy riding.

Let me guess the reply.

'Never seen this happen before. Must be a one off.'

(similar response to the inner primary bearing failure)

Re: Brake Pad Failure - Front & Rear

Re: Brake Pad Failure - Front & Rear

....Sorry to open old wounds, but this 'oldie' hit me last week approaching a roundabout just outside Royston, when my trusty '06 Street Bob spat out its near-side rear pad, leaving the plate making sparks against the disc. Only thing you feel at first is loadsa travel on the brake-lever. Glad it was only the rear and not the front, otherwise it would have been recovery time, although when you can't use the rear, it does seem to be more useful than you thought it was.

Did another 50+ miles on one brake, and changed to EBC pads. Bought two sets on eBay for ?35 with free p&p next day (did search for 'FXDBi Brake Pads' and bingo...). Easy to swop out except for near-side rear, where relocating (forcing back) forward piston was a bugger, as it's obscured by the disc, and hard to get any leverage access.....

There I am approaching a roundabout on my 2006 FXDi35, 60mph behind a transit, 100 yards from give way and press rear brake pedal - felt a little bit of resistance then nothing - pedal went all the way. Managed to slow with front brake and gears, entering roundabout at low speed and pulling over to the side.

Go on - Guess what was wrong.? Correct - Offside Rear Brake pad had shed. Made it home - 46 miles - using only front brake.

Going to replace with EBC pads if I can get them.

As Carl said - different story if it was the front.

Has anyone counted up how many people have had this happen..???

Z and Gold pads are second to none.

I have heard of them on the Yank sites.
Over there they are talked about as much as we rate EBC here,
any chance you have tried both to give us some kind of comparison?
And what's the difference between the Z and Gold,
is one an organic compound?

Glad your ok Pete
you can tell us all about it at the montly meeting

I have heard of them on the Yank sites.
Over there they are talked about as much as we rate EBC here,
any chance you have tried both to give us some kind of comparison?
And what's the difference between the Z and Gold,
is one an organic compound?

Avoid organic like the plague. Life span is very shotr indeed. I have never had pads wear as quickly.:mad:

Thought I'd get out for a few minutes yesterday. Wheeling the bike out of the garage, applied the front brake and ... nothing.

The lining had come away from the backing, bloody glad that didn't happen at speed on the Uppingham toy run on Sunday - could have been carnage.

I will be replacing the pads with the EBC FA400HH pads. Will never buy moco ones again - need to be confident in the brakes!

Neil

I've just read through this thread with growing horror, is this fault confined only to the models quoted, or for any H-D models (specifically an '05 XL Sportster with less than 1500 miles on the clock)?

Regardless, I will be watching the pads (OEM) very closely when she comes out of Winter retirement.....

Hi all, fairly new to the Forum, sadly not new to pad failure.

Long post but relevant.

2005 Electraglide Standard, done 6k miles at the time; on holiday in Scotland last year - slow manoeuvering (luckily), the front brake lever pulled back to the handlebar. Thought the fluid was low, so topped it up/pumped it up and OK - so I thought.

Next day, same again, but at 0MPH (I'm just lucky I guess); it was then I did a MUCH closer inspection and found missing pad material off both pads on Nearside Front caliper. Factory pads.

Long story - got home OK. Bought more EBC pads all round.

Contacted Silverstone Harley - "have you ever heard of this?" - "Why yes, there was a bad batch on 2005 models.....".

So contact H-D Customer Service - basically told to go forth...service issue, not interested if I'd nearly killed myself.

So contacted VOSA Vehicle Safety Branch; I'm trained as an engineer and wrote what I felt was a reasonably competent description, with photos and narrative re the incident (and citing previous incidents including the one at the top of this thread) and H-Ds response.

Their considered response is that their investigation failed to establish "whether the defect....was liable to cause significant risk of personal injury or death".

"Where there is warning of impending failure these concerns are not normally taken forward. Warning can be....detected during routine maintenance"

Since H-Ds operator's manual advises us all to examine all of our brake pads before every ride, we would spot the impending failure and take action; therefore it is a Maintenance issue!

Exactly what I would have been thinking as I tried to brake 1000Lbs of bike and self even 1MPH faster than physically possible into a corner.

Show me a car driver asked to examine their pads before every drive.

A

Sadly, that is just what we have come to expect.
VOSA seems to be in the pocket of the manufacturers, and rather than supporting the taxpayers, who pay their fat jobsworth salaries, against the might of corporate America, they put all the onus on us, the owners. Your points have been made at length to VOSA, and their response has been to stick their fingers in their ears and do nothing. They don't give a toss. Neither does the MoCo. They are only interested in their next pay cheque, not in your safety.

Here here, Jake. I'm sadly disppointed at VOSA's response. Seeng as there's some kind of political event going on later this week, how about dropping a line to your local MP, outlining what has happened and asking what he/she thinks about your treatment from one of HM Govt's Agencies. . . . Probably wn't get yo anywhere but will stir things up a bit.

Is there any way of bringing this to the attention of a "Watchdog" style tv programme? Seems they might have a bit more clout and the media attention might get more light shone onto the problem.

I'd like to reiterate another post on this frightening thread...is it an issue mostly with TC's and post 2000 bikes or is an across the board thing?
Obviously with my '98 Springer and it's sadly inadequate single pot callipers and single rotors the thought of delamination is absolutely terrifying. Christ, I've already thought about carrying a land anchor in my pocket to chuck out when I try to stop at a junction.

I'd usually have serviced the thing myself, but after spending a long time in hospital and the bike having been in storage for the duration, it went to the Stealership and got 'serviced'. I've put that in quotes because I'm finding things that haven't been looked at considering it spent 6 years off the road.

They also fitted new pads front and rear and I'm sure they'd have fitted OEM butter laminated ones although I asked for EBC.
I guess I'll be having the pads out and having a shuftee tomorrow.
I'll see if any local bods have decent pads in stock. Any ideas where I could try Banquo? You're fairly local to me...

Hi Mole, you are in the "fortunate" position that if your pad becomes delaminated on the front brake, it will not be ejected (piston side).
I have seen this 2 times on different Evo engined bikes.
You will heare a clunk fron the front end if the pad has become detatched from the backing plate when you apply the brake.
I've been following this one and it's frankly disgusting that the powers that be
seem to be denying the very existence of this issue.

Hi Mole, you are in the "fortunate" position that if your pad becomes delaminated on the front brake, it will not be ejected (piston side).
I have seen this 2 times on different Evo engined bikes.
You will heare a clunk fron the front end if the pad has become detatched from the backing plate when you apply the brake.
I've been following this one and it's frankly disgusting that the powers that be
seem to be denying the very existence of this issue.

A clunk from the front end?? It's a Springer, it always clunks :9399D3F58B324EE1B68
Thanks anyway Robbie, I'll have a look tomorrow as I'm officially shiting myself now...Harley Davidson, where you discover adrenaline is brown, haven't had a pucker factor like this since Saddam's mates started chucking exploding things at me!

They also fitted new pads front and rear and I'm sure they'd have fitted OEM butter laminated ones although I asked for EBC.
I guess I'll be having the pads out and having a shuftee tomorrow.

Rod, if (<- big IF), when you pull off the caliper, you discover they aren't EBC, call the stealers and get 'em to come collect the bike and fit the pads you requested. You're covered under the Sale of Goods Act. You requested a part, they fitted something that wasn't THAT part, their mess to clean up.

What does it say on your copy of the invoice?

As a personal note, I changed my pads for EBC when I first read this thread. And Harley get very little of my custom now because as they seem incapable and unwilling to sort something so dangerous out, how do I know what else I can trust them with?

Rod, if (<- big IF), when you pull off the caliper, you discover they aren't EBC, call the stealers and get 'em to come collect the bike and fit the pads you requested. You're covered under the Sale of Goods Act. You requested a part, they fitted something that wasn't THAT part, their mess to clean up.

What does it say on your copy of the invoice?

As a personal note, I changed my pads for EBC when I first read this thread. And Harley get very little of my custom now because as they seem incapable and unwilling to sort something so dangerous out, how do I know what else I can trust them with?

I think I'd be in for a fight there Baff, as most of the conversation was via phone at the time. They came up and picked the bike up with the magic words..."we don't really know how much it'll be till we have a look" then as usual.."your fork bearings are gone...primary chain needs replacing.." all of which was correct enough no doubt, I'd not distrust the Stealership to that extent. I've not got the tools, garage or the good health to work to that extent on the bike anymore.
During the many weeks it was away I mentioned fitting some decent pads..like EBC or something during a phone call, so I'd be hard pressed to push the issue :redface:

After what they charged me to get it back on the road, I've not got the finances to take it back there anylonger..not even for a service, so they won't be getting anymore out of me that way. I could've bought a second hand Sporty for what it cost...

Back