60mph front brake failure 06 Dyna

Re: 60mph front brake failure 06 Dyna

FWIW, I've never heard of any issue with the Evo pads Moley. Sadly, what many do to improve the brakes is to fit the later callipers from the Twin Cam, as mentioned on one of today's posts, although if you fitted the EBC pads at the same time, that would be no bad thing. Not sure if they fit the front of the Zebedee though.... If you're happy with the way the brakes are today, you should be OK with the Evo pads, unless anyone knows differently...

Last edited:

FWIW, I've never heard of any issue with the Evo pads Moley. Sadly, what many do to improve the brakes is to fit the later callipers from the Twin Cam, as mentioned on one of today's posts, although if you fitted the EBC pads at the same time, that would be no bad thing. Not sure if they fit the front of the Zebedee though.... If you're happy with the way the brakes are today, you should be OK with the Evo pads, unless anyone knows differently...
Thanks Jake, appreciate the help again mate. Although the brakes on the Zeb are fairly tosh, I've adjusted my riding style over the years to take it into account. I've never gone for the sports bikes and went from Triumph Bonny to HD so consequently I don't hammer the brakes riceburner stylee..it does help if you already know your normal braking distance is longer than a Taliban taxi on a Kabul shopping trip :)

I've fitted the dedicated neutral wire on the rectifier as you suggested at the Netherton rideout, works a treat :D

Wondered what that annoying loud click was.
Could never simulate it in the garage so never found what it was. Headstck bearings have never looked so good.

New pads ordered.........oh b*gger

upon removing the brake pads for servicing,the friction material parted from the metal backing plate,this happened on 3 out of 4 pads and they still had plenty of life left in them.Heard this happen before with o.e.m pads.I use EBC pads now which I find have better stopping power.

Only just come across this thread, and shocked by what I've been reading.

Does anyone have any experience of any other brake pads delaminating? Or indeed any MoCo pads from other years?

We need to establish a baseline for what would constitute an 'acceptable' failure rate - nothing is perfect but if the MoCo's rate is 2% and EBC's is 0.5% that information needs to be fed to riders, making them aware of the risks and able make an informed decision, and then back to the manufacturers: not the people who wrap them in their own packaging, but the people who actually produce them because they are in a position to do something about it.

It could be a simple as the bonding compound: it may be that they have resolved it, in which case we need to know if there's a way of identifying the improved version from its packaging: it's sickening that VOSA are not taking a more proactive stance, because at the very least they should be ensuring that all pads from the known suspect batch are removed from the food chain.

Hate to say it, but is there any merit in building an on-line database of component failures for this massive and vociferous forum, and does anyone have the programming skills to be able to knock it up? We need to work out a way to share this information, so we can present it to VOSA and to Harley-Davidson, and share among ourselves.

Doesn't need to be anything more than part (part number if possible), make (because Harley will not be alone), model, year, mileage, how the bike is stored (garage / shed / cover), and any other salient info that has a bearing - no pun intended. Make something positive out of this, and speak with a single coherent and rational voice that can't be ignored.

Right, what did I come in here for? Oh yes ...

Having an 06 Street Bob, I was more than a little concerned when I tripped over this thread in the forum. As a result, I have now replaced my pads with Lucas items. Inspection of the originals did not reveal any catastrophic delamination, except maybe the beginnings of something on the inner front pad. It could be that UK winter riding, and the associated salt contamination has something to do with this problem. My bike is located in Germany and is not often used in winter, and they rarely use road-salt in my area.:)

Only just come across this thread, and shocked by what I've been reading.

Does anyone have any experience of any other brake pads delaminating? Or indeed any MoCo pads from other years?

We need to establish a baseline for what would constitute an 'acceptable' failure rate - nothing is perfect but if the MoCo's rate is 2% and EBC's is 0.5% that information needs to be fed to riders, making them aware of the risks and able make an informed decision, and then back to the manufacturers: not the people who wrap them in their own packaging, but the people who actually produce them because they are in a position to do something about it.

It could be a simple as the bonding compound: it may be that they have resolved it, in which case we need to know if there's a way of identifying the improved version from its packaging: it's sickening that VOSA are not taking a more proactive stance, because at the very least they should be ensuring that all pads from the known suspect batch are removed from the food chain.

Hate to say it, but is there any merit in building an on-line database of component failures for this massive and vociferous forum, and does anyone have the programming skills to be able to knock it up? We need to work out a way to share this information, so we can present it to VOSA and to Harley-Davidson, and share among ourselves.

Doesn't need to be anything more than part (part number if possible), make (because Harley will not be alone), model, year, mileage, how the bike is stored (garage / shed / cover), and any other salient info that has a bearing - no pun intended. Make something positive out of this, and speak with a single coherent and rational voice that can't be ignored.

Right, what did I come in here for? Oh yes ...

Sounds good Andy, but if you trawl through the whole post, you'll find we have been here already. The pads are made by Hayes brake, and they were my first port of call. Unsurprisingly, they would not engage in correspondence, and said I should speak to the dealer. After a campaign to get people to forward their failure details, what we had was compiled, and sent to both VOSA (who are responsible for recalls) and the HDUK. VOSA never took the issue seriously, and from the start engaged on a campaign to discover some facet of the case that would throw the responsibility on the rider, and take it away from the manufacturer. After discussions with HDUK, they discovered small print in the owner's manual that states that brake pads are part of the pre-ride inspection, and ignoring the obvious, that such a get-out clause is completely unreasonable, impossible for the lay person to carry out, and was placed there as a check of pad wear, and not a measure of imminent collapse, they continued to insist that black was white, because that was what they had decided from the start.
Correspondence was sent to HDUK also, but they did not even have the courtesy to reply.
Had more people been involved, then perhaps some direct action might have been appropriate, and had 500 or so club members descended en masse on Oxford or VOSA, then the resulting publicity might have forced some kind of action, but the fact remains that VOSA, rather than taking up the baton, actively collaborated with HDUK to suppress any dissent, and had made up their mind about their stance right from the start.
Our club represents only a tiny fraction of the Harley-Davidsons registered in this country, and as many of the remainder are serviced by factory dealers, the statistics you seek are unavailable, so we would be unable to present anything meaningful to support our case.
The best we could hope for was to publicise the problem internally, so forum members at least could exercise their choice, and buy their pads elsewhere.
Are H-D worried about that?
No.
We're not their target market, and sales of machines and clothing continue unabated....

Well, this is an interesting thread!

As a new '06 Street Bob owner I reckon the first thing I'm going to do is replace the front brake pads!

Does anyone know the correct EBC number for the correct part? I've been googling for a fitment list but no luck.

FA something, is it?

See also our Suppliers Forum page2---Brakes4U.

What a muppet I am, thanks very much :)

Well, well. Ha, ha, ha! Recently got back from a 600 mile round trip on my '06 Streetbob. Haven't ridden it since, because I needed a new front tyre. Took the front caliper off and (because I've taken an interest in this thread) thought I'd have a detailed look at the pads. Any guesses about what I found? Yes, they'd both delaminated, but had not come away yet. All it took was light finger pressure to get the friction material off both of them, though. Stripped out the rears and yes, one of them came away too.

Now, I'm not totally unfamiliar with vehicle safety inspections, and I can say with a fair degree of confidence that the delamination was not apparent with the pads in situ. Firstly there's the issue of limited visibility. Secondly there's the accumulated brake dust that hides the evidence of delamination. Thirdly, there's the fact that normally the pads are in light contact with the disc, so the delamination gap is held shut.

I'll pursue this with VOSA, but with little hope of a positive outcome. I'll keep you posted.

Incidentally, the bike has done just over 10000 miles and the pads are original equipment.

Guess what turned up in the post today? You know it makes sense :)

IMG_0001.JPG

If you leave your pads in for 10,000 miles I wouldn't expect to have any left :frown:

Well, well. Ha, ha, ha! Recently got back from a 600 mile round trip on my '06 Streetbob. Haven't ridden it since, because I needed a new front tyre. Took the front caliper off and (because I've taken an interest in this thread) thought I'd have a detailed look at the pads. Any guesses about what I found? Yes, they'd both delaminated, but had not come away yet. All it took was light finger pressure to get the friction material off both of them, though. Stripped out the rears and yes, one of them came away too.

Now, I'm not totally unfamiliar with vehicle safety inspections, and I can say with a fair degree of confidence that the delamination was not apparent with the pads in situ. Firstly there's the issue of limited visibility. Secondly there's the accumulated brake dust that hides the evidence of delamination. Thirdly, there's the fact that normally the pads are in light contact with the disc, so the delamination gap is held shut.

I'll pursue this with VOSA, but with little hope of a positive outcome. I'll keep you posted.

Incidentally, the bike has done just over 10000 miles and the pads are original equipment.

If you want copies of previous correspondence, let me know.

Just got my new EBC pads in the post today. Am telling all my own club members to change theirs over as a matter of safety. Went to Shaws HD weds and explained to them about the forum re the brake pads and they said will look into it. A couple of the staff there said they will try and tell people to get EBC instead too, even after my mate was told his pads needed replacing but they would only fit HD pads, so he walked out and is now fitting EBC. Seems the dealers need to have one of their people riding a bike it happens to, before they do anything too. It just beggars belief that people when told of a MAJOR SAFETY ISSUE like brake pads failing, just ignore it. NOT ME !!! Well done to all involved for bringing this POTENTIALLY FATAL ISSUE to all our attention. Vinnie

Perhaps when someone has a fatal accident and the Police track the cause to Delaminating Brake Pads, then we can all club together and sue H-D AND VOSA.
What a bunch of WA*KERS, especially VOSA. What is their purpose if not to investigate serious safety issues? I for one will never buy H-D Brake Pads. Never ever ever.
Rant over.
Pat.:mad:

Crap, i pick mine up on Saturday, and i think i'll be giving the brakes a good coat of looking at.....:frown:

Thanks for highlighting this.

Back