60mph front brake failure 06 Dyna

Re: 60mph front brake failure 06 Dyna

Editorial in the latest BSH, Stu mentions something about a bike manufacturers brakes, no mention of who though :wink:

Nobody has posted in this thread since last year but just to keep the awareness up.................I had my 05 plate nightrain in for an MOT last week and the tester noticed my rear pads had started to break up, not actually come away from the backing plate but kinda delaminating in layers across the thickness of the pads.:frown:

He passed the bike but noted as an observation on the paperwork that the pads were 'close to minimum limit'

He also noted that the exhaust was noisy, (V&H big radius)in my opinion LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES:wink: and are music to my wee deaf ears, they must be getting more strict in this area too.

Anyway, after going home and refitting my small numberplate back on, I nipped into Edinburgh H-D and picked up two sets of EBC pads for the back and the front and have fitted them this weekend.:smile: sorted.

Incidently the EBC pads were less than half the price of the HD ones:mad:

my rear pads had started to break up, not actually come away from the backing plate but kinda delaminating in layers across the thickness of the pads.

Like this Davie? That's what mine were like (way back near the start of the thread..)
IMG_2110.jpg

I nipped into Edinburgh H-D and picked up two sets of EBC pads for the back and the front and have fitted them this weekend.

Ha! Surely it says something that the official dealer is now selling non H-D pads from an H-D official dealership?

Like this Davie? That's what mine were like (way back near the start of the thread..)
IMG_2110.jpg

Ha! Surely it says something that the official dealer is now selling non H-D pads from an H-D official dealership?

Hi Jake:) thats exactly what they looked like bud :wink: theres no shame to them though at 18000 mls. I though that was a good mileage to get out of them.

Mine had done far less than that, going by the pad thickness remaining, but I doubt if I have a record of it. Must have changed them 3 or 4 times in 46,000 miles, but I never let them get too thin.

Mine had done far less than that, going by the pad thickness remaining, but I doubt if I have a record of it. Must have changed them 3 or 4 times in 46,000 miles, but I never let them get too thin.

is this still a problem , or is it a batch of pads from a 07/08 ?
was the problem sorted out by HD
and does this happen with EBC pads ?
thanks for the replies , Ive never seen this on any of the other makes of bike Ive had , and its a bit worrying to think it might still happen :frown:

In my opinion,this isn't a year/batch problem,more an ongoing quality controll issue.
In the 70's,I was involved in the developement of brake shoe bonding rigs.
(Stay with it,we'll get to pads.:wink:)
The linings were sprayed with neat glue,and the shoes were shot blasted and dipped in a diluted version of the same glue.
The linings had to cure for 30 hours,the shoes for 5 hours.
On the rig the shoes were pre heated for 2 minutes,then the lining clamped in place for 2 minutes.
Every hour,a pair of shoes from each rig were tested to destruction by forcing a hydraulic ram against the side of the lining.
A good bond was if the lining sheared,leaving a thin coating of friction material bonded to the shoe.
One main cause of failure we found,was if the shoes were left between shifts in the shot blasted state,causing a delay in the dipping stage.
This caused the lining to come away with the glue,leaving an uncoated shoe.
Lockheed pads were made with blanks (backing plates),that had holes in them.The friction mix was pressed into a mould that forced it through the holes.
The friction material was then ground to size,and the blanks painted black.
Many pads these days seem to have no holes in the blanks,and this would sugest that the friction material in formed into pucks,then bonded to the blank.These are still ground,you can see the grind marks on cheap pads from an undressed wheel,but the amount of dust produced would be greatly reduced.This would be a big H&S issue,unless made in India or China.The conditions in some foundaries in China would make your Grandad weep.:frown:
So if I'm correct,if the blanks are left uncoated for a period of time,they will rust,forcing the friction from the blank.The more metalic content in the friction material,the worse the problem,from the reaction of dissimilar metals.

Makes absolute sense. You would think that a major manufacturer of a component would know all this, especially if they are supplying to the most litigious society on the planet (U.S.A.)

great reply .....so who currently make the best harley

davidson aftermarket brake pad in your well informed opinion ?

great reply .....so who currently make the best harley

davidson aftermarket brake pad in your well informed opinion ?

By reputation,EBC,I've never heard a bad word about them,and about to order some myself.The RK is my first disc braked Harley,I'll be giving them a close look.I fitted OE sintered replacements to a BMW twin and was never happy with them,when I got rid of it 20,000 miles later,the buggers still hadn't wore out.:frown:
There is a proviso,Organic pads are the best for general use.EBC do an HH grade that has a metalic content,that is designed for high performance,but it will kill a non stainless disc,and can be noisey in some applications.
I'll be getting Organic for the RK,I've no need for anything better,but then I've no complaint about the single piston calipers either.With the added input of fear,I've managed to lock the front wheel on a dry road,with good tyres,how much more do I need.:wink:
Having cut my teeth on a bike that would do 115 mph,and fitted with an 8" SLS drum brake,anything that stops this side of Christmas is ok by me.:)

Spoke to a mate from West Lothian on Sunday, who fitted new pads for a mate. Coming down a European pass, the almost new pad completely detached from the backing. Cost him a new disc, a big dealer bill, as well as the pads and no doubt a set of underwear.

Doesn't look like they ever resolved the problem.

Hi all, opinions on best brake pads for a 07 dyna please ,do I go for sintered,Kevlar or something else cheers

A similar thing happened to me on the original pads on the rear fitted to my 06 softail, the pad detached from the backing plate.When the pad detached it seemed to jam as if the brakes were on. Fortunately I was near home at the time.I have never had any problems with the replacements.

Hi all, opinions on best brake pads for a 07 dyna please ,do I go for sintered,Kevlar or something else cheers
You got the Brembo calipers? If so go for Carbon Lorraine pads
Steve

Back