Alarm will not reset

Fostlongstrider

Club Member
2006 Heritage Softail. Alarm has set itself and will not turn off. Red key light flashing on speedo. Press key fob nothing.
Press and hold key fob 2 beeps and four way flashes twice and alarm is set again.
Anyone give me a heads up on how to unset the alarm?

First things first - change the battery in the fob, they do suddenly go flat.

My fob was flat and simply changing the battery fixed the problem. Last week after a few months inactivity.

Do you know the PIN code to override the alarm system?

Have you got the handbook which from memory does detail things?

Good luck.

Try this it usually works put a new battery in fob then stand filter side press and hold fob until alarm responds after it re syncs to the module it should be ok

Battery is not dead as when I press the button and hold it the system chirps twice and the indicators flash twice.
Then the alarm resets and stays on.

Ok so the fobs alaigning itself to the tssm module do you turn the ignition on immediately after double clicking fob ready to start bike ? As there is a time limit on this before the system auto arms . i think your model year was the first to have the early keyless option available where the fob needed to be within a few feet and you could turn on ignition and ride as a retrofit and some units had issues later solved with software update at a dealer Was yours one ?

Is the fob battery new though? Also, I've had some cheap batteries that are slightly thinner than the reputable ones and are intermittent in the fob.

Battery is the one that was in the fob when I got the bike. I do not usually set the alarm but sometimes the fob gets pressed when in my pocket. No idea about the updates, nothing in the paper work I got with the bike.
Going to have a read of the hand book when I can find it.

Ok so the fobs alaigning itself to the tssm module do you turn the ignition on immediately after double clicking fob ready to start bike ? As there is a time limit on this before the system auto arms . i think your model year was the first to have the early keyless option available where the fob needed to be within a few feet and you could turn on ignition and ride as a retrofit and some units had issues later solved with software update at a dealer Was yours one ?
Mine has ignition switch below the speedo and has a Castle type key.

I would put new battery in the fob make sure the kill switch is set to run then hold it untill it beeps And aligns itself with the alarm then double click the fob turn the ignition switch to on and see if it will start let me know what happens

Last edited:
Done and alarm now resets. But all I get when I press start is the sound of a relay clicking under the saddle.
The starter motor does not turn at all. Had this once with the Sportster I had and the connector on the starter motor had come loose. Will check this tomorrow. I have some spare relays that come with the bike if needed.

It also sounds like a dead bike battery. Have you got the spare fob if not buy one and keep swapping them over

Bike battery?? Nowt wrong with the bike battery and fob has new battery.
Alarm now cancels on two rapid presses of fob. Start relay just clicks and start motor does not respond.
All other electrics work. As I said I had this with the Sportster I had and it was the wiring connector to the starter motor.
Been busy recently so will check connections when I have time.

It is either the Starter Relay gone or the Starter Motor/Solenoid Stuck. That is assuming the wiring is good from the Relay to the Solenoid.

Thanks for input.
I have several relays that came with the bike,some used and a couple new.
Will have a good look round when I can get some time.

Just to close this off, I finally got round to fixing the bike.
I found a few (3) relays at the bottom of one of the panniers.
Turns out they were spare starter relays.
Changed the one on the bike for a spare in a sealed packet and vroom started first push of the button.

Back