Battery charger cable

Hi all,

Hope you can help and I’m not being too dumb here, but I’ve just got my Fat Boy 2020 model and noticed the battery charging cable looks a bit different to others I’ve seen before:
View attachment 1194775

I have no idea what the blue bit is sticking out and whether there’s a certain charger I need for it? Never seen one of these as it looks like an Optimate one but I’m really not sure, any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,

Tony
That is the H-D factory fitted battery charging connector. It looks like you have lost the protective cap, so remove the blue bullet crimp connector and fit some duct tape over the end to keep the water out until you can get a replacement for the lost cap.

BATTERY CHARGE CONNECTOR.jpg

Last edited:
I have an optimate charger for my sportster, now changed to a fat bob witha different connection, that looks like an optimate, if not optimate will do an adaptor for what is on there, which is what I have done. Zoom in on an optimate picture and the numbers seen on your pic may be on there as well

I have an optimate charger for my sportster, now changed to a fat bob witha different connection, that looks like an optimate, if not optimate will do an adaptor for what is on there, which is what I have done. Zoom in on an optimate picture and the numbers seen on your pic may be on there as well
Just connect the optimate connector to the two round connections and ignore the spade connection.

BATTERY CHARGE CONNECTOR.jpg

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I’ve got a problem, bike has been stood for about two weeks and now it won’t start, when I flick the on switch everything turns on, lights blink and the dash bit lights up but when I press the starter it just sounds horrible and doesn’t start.

To give some context and if you’ve not already guessed I’m ok at riding bikes but absolutely clueless on things like this, I’ve had the sides off the bike but I can only see the black lead on the battery and not the red, it looks like there’s a plastic warning sign over the red section.

The trickle charger doesn’t look like it’s done its job, anyone have any advice/instructions on what I can do to sort this? Worried about breaking stuff on it as that’s what I usually do!

Cheers

Tony

Are you sure the Charger is working?
Does the Starter Motor engage or is the "horrible" noise the Starter Solenoid clicking in and out. If so it is a sign of a very poor Battery that is almost flat.
Show us picture of the Battery Terminals. The lead that goes to the Battery might have been disconnected. If as SJC says in (post No.12) it is part of the wiring loom then check the Fuse in the Diagram he has shown.
When you connect the Charger, what lights are shown? Picture of that would help too.
How long have you had it on charge for? A trickle charger only puts out maybe 1/2 an Amp so you would have to have it on charge at least 15 to 20 hours to get a decent charge into the Battery.
Let us know.

Reactions: M&M
Hi and thanks for the reply, the noise is the noise it makes when starting up, it turns over once and the just dies

I’ve tried different chargers on it and the Harley one I was sent just flashes yellow, I’ve had it on for two days but it just kept flashing

I’ll get some photos of everything tomorrow and put them up here but I’m guessing I may be looking at a new battery?

Hi and thanks for the reply, the noise is the noise it makes when starting up, it turns over once and the just dies

I’ve tried different chargers on it and the Harley one I was sent just flashes yellow, I’ve had it on for two days but it just kept flashing

I’ll get some photos of everything tomorrow and put them up here but I’m guessing I may be looking at a new battery?
It does sound like the Battery is Fcuked.

It is the standard charging port as fitted to Harleys for a few years now. I've just noticed on my Road King Special that there is a small connector like a small USB connector but it wasn't on the ultra limited that I sold

So it seems it was me being a moron! it was the battery case covering the red battery terminal, so once I have removed that I could get to it so will be trying to get some charge into this battery but I don't know if best option will be to replace it completely, will see how it goes, every day is a learning day as they say!

On the last few bikes I have had the battery has been a total pain in the butt to get to, the days of it just being under the seat and easy to get to seem to have disappeared, but suppose it makes learn to take bits off the bike and where things are so isnt all bad.

If you have a constant flashing yellow light the charger is putting the max charge it can into the battery. If after a couple of days you still cannot start you have a dud battery which is not taking a charge.
The light should flash yellow when first connected and then go over to steady green.

Back