Belt stripped

p[p

Club Member
Fatbob 103 62 plate, stripped the belt yesterday can I just replace the belt or replace the whole lot??

Bikes done 36000
Thanks

Big job no matter what you decide,remove primary completely! Id replace entire drive if you keeping bike.

The front sprocket rarely need replacing, sometimes the rear is in good condition i.e. no chrome flacking off but at 36k I imagine it's time to replace it.

That's low miles for your belt to go, have a good look at your wheel alignment and be sure to tension belt properly when you replace

Stripping the teeth is normally due to ratcheting the belt teeth and often caused by running the belt too slack. (see below in manual extract!)
A tight belt is better than a slack belt not just my opinion well documented.

I'll just add here, that I have had several bikes that have had a considerable tight spot or even spots in the belt, just like you can get on a chain, one being my current M8 Softail.
So I have to adjust it so it is right on the specified tightest setting at the tight spot just to get the slack part to just about achieve the slackest setting specified, any worse and I would run the tight spot tighter to achieve the maximum slack, rather than run it slack. So you really do need to check the tension all over to get the best adjustment you can!

You should try and work out what caused the belt failure first rather than just go in a replacing it.
As a club member you can download the service manual to look at this on inspection and how to undertake the task.
I have put in the belt inspection extract below.

The front pullies do wear despite being steel, but with that milage may well be OK, however the rears can flake the chrome off at very low mileages and that alone is not necessary a reason to replace it, see below the extract on inspection, it is more down to the profile of the teeth.
But consider worn/ damaged pullies will wear a new belt quickly, so if either suspect I would replace them as I would rather not be going back in sooner than I had too!

1678010212332.png
1678010418803.png

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice,
But I need to replace any seals, gaskets, or anything that needs replacing
Cheers pip

Replaced my Fat Bob belt and pulleys at 33K and 48K. I think them not lasting long was due to the bike being used for commuting and running on filthy manky roads a lot of the time rather than poor tension/alignment. Used a BDL belt (made by Gates same as oe) from Hogparts both times with stock pulleys and stretch bolts. Can't remember what inner primary gasket I used but it wasn't necessary as it's a thick aluminium thing. I had the inner primary bearing done the 2nd time just for peace of mind and figured for the minimal extra cost it was worth doing while the thing was apart.

Reactions: p[p
All good advice on this thread, I can only echo what's already been said. Find out what caused the failure and replace the belt and pullies - false economy not to do so, just like a worn chain it's madness not to replace the sprockets! If you are going down the dealer route for the work, the cost will be horrendous, so you might as well bite the bullet and if it was my bike I'd probably get the swinging arm bearings replaced at the same time - another known issue on Dyna's.

Done two of em in the last 18 months all down to rear wheel bearings failing and causing belt to run out although one of em the belt was not adjusted properly after tyre change and was suspected of being the cause another thing to check is the alignment as per the manual and mounting rubbers wear 👍😎

Reactions: p[p
He used a jet washer in his yard each week to clean it and the truckwash degreaser helped kill the bearings how he rode with it wobbling and rumbling i will never know 🤷🏻‍♂️

Back