Change of Tyres

Brigg

Club Member
Have a bit of time to kill, so I have started to play with the Street, there isn’t much to grab you in the after market or oem to make any massive quick changes. So far I have removed the really tacky graphics (and a small amount of paint as a result).

The bars where in a bad state, when I attempted to remove them I found the grips were oversize and kept in place by yards of gaffer tape and silicone!

I have removed the sissy bar (have a 2nd which came loose with the bike), tool roll (too leery), removed the plastic panniers and docking hardware it was mullered.

I have polished out the scratches except for on deep one which will covered by an aluminium billet tank trim.

Parts Received so far:

Flat Black front axle nut covers
Flat Black rear axle nut covers
Flat Black swing arm bolt cover

Docking Hardware kit
Universal helmet lock
Flat Black Willie G medallion (Derby Cover)
Defiance Handgrips

Bar and Shield mini Badge for rear fender

On order:

OEM solo seat
Flat Black fork bolt covers
Screamin Eagle orange plug leads
Bar and Shield 41/2” (approx) tank badges - not sure that I will use these!

The pipes have been removed To be cleaned and sprayed with a decent quality heat resistant spray plus the heat shields have been poorly refinished.

The wheels are going to refinished in a a very dark maroon along with the aluminium tank trim, hopefully the plastic headlight fairing and the rear fender will have a maroon stripe the width of the tank trim

This is the real advice I need, I want to fit the following Avon 110/80/17 front & Avon 160/80/15 rear which may or may not be supplemented with Progressive 412’s.

What would be the pros and cons of fitting the slightly larger tyres?

Cheers Brigg

The main issue with oversize tyres is that if clearance, remember tyres grow when hot.

On my Sporty, bear with me, it needed a 90/90 tyre in the front end. I ordered (mistakenly) a 100/90 and it used to graze the inside of the mudguard. This meant I had to remove the mudguard for MOT purposes.

I use that as an example of small difference causing problems.

So basically check your clearances

Don't forget that while the bigger tyre will be appreciated when stopping etc (for its bigger "footprint") it will mean slightly more friction so could cost you some economy? (you probably won't care after your first emergency stop in the wet!)

Back