Does a bike require indicators.

W

win307

Can you remove indicators from a bike and be legal in the UK ?
Back to hand signals.:eek:

Re: Does a bike require indicators.

I think it depends on the year of the bike.

Your right Sue after a certain year if they are fitted standard then I thinks they should be there. I do know of some custom/chops etc that they are fitted for the registering and mot's but easily removed without a big gap for the rest of the year.

The bike has to be manufactured before 1986. to be exempt from indicators,- but their is a loophole that says that "if the motorcycle is predominately used for off road motor sport it may not have indicators fitted."- my bike is a sand-sprint machine:D.

Quite from the MOT regulations
If direction indicators are fitted they must meet the requirements of this inspection, but need not be fitted to a machine which:
. cannot exceed 30mph / 50kph, or
. was first used before 1 August 1986, or
. 'off road' machines which are designed
to carry only the rider.
. 'off road' machines with side car designed to carry the rider and one passenger in the side car.

off road machines are constructed or adapted primarily for use off roads (whether by reason of its tyres, suspension, ground clearance or otherwise).

Looks like I might have to fit offroad tyres.
:D :rolleyes: :eek: :confused:

win307 said:
Looks like I might have to fit offroad tyres.
:D :rolleyes: :eek: :confused:

You really dont need to, just tell them that you intend to go 1/4 mile sprinting on it,- in a road legal (read MOT'd) class (run what you brung) armmed with a print out of the regs from- http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/mc_contents.htm , and you will be alright.-------------- just hope the M.F's don't read this though.:eek:

I've just MOT'd and taxed my 1965 Triumph, for the first time since 1978, without indicators or mirrors. But I have to admit I didn't know about the year spec for indicators. I did know the exhausts are year specific, (Triumph straight thro's sound lovely.)
Alan B

There is another exemption under the lighting regs that applies to all machines, even "on-road" ones. To quote from the MOT Inspection Manual:

"This inspection (direction indicators) applies to: all machines except those which either have no front or rear position lamps or have such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked that are:
. only used during daylight hours, and
. not used at times of seriously reduced visibility

If this situation occurs the machine presenter should be issued with an advisory notice recording the above and it should also be recorded on the carbon copy of the VT20."

So, you don't need to fit off road tyres, just put a cover over the headlamp and rear lamp and tell them that you only use the bike during daylight hours. If you take it for a test and it fails get an appeal form and VOSA will inspect it. Laugh when the tester and the garage get 20 disciplinary points each for "an incorrect failure" and you get your appeal fee back.

I have read this with interest - my old chop was a 1996 sporty and had no indicators - I often wondered if this was legal - but it always passed its MOT :confused:

Back