E10 Fuel

Fuz

Just had this from the DVSA, Just click on the words "Changes to petrol over the summer" Ignore the other bit, I can't seem to delete it!

Last edited:
Read my post again Rod!

Just click on the words "Changes to petrol over the summer"

Last edited:
Ethanol being in the alcohol family will mix readily with water. It could well be where some done ride their bikes for 3 or 4 months during the winter with no problems they might and me included have to add a stabiliser to preserve the fuel.

All Harleys from 1980 onwards are ok with E10, as already suggested, for long storage periods (over winter) use a fuel stabilizer and you should be fine.

Thanks Fuz, got it now. Yes, 1980 onwards, so both my shovels should be ok. I agree with Rick on the stabliser.

I'm not too fussed over actually running E10 in my vehicles; I've long favoured paying the extra pence for premium fuel for the Shovel and the RS, and the 45 will run quite happily on whatever filth you chuck into it, as it was designed to.

What I think we should be more concerned about is the effect that ethanol has been proved to have on fuel lines, tank sealers and the like. Basically, if your fuel lines aren't replaced with more modern ethanol proof ones they will rot. I'm working my way through mine now, I strongly advise those of you with older bikes to do the same.

I get my fuel line from Mat's or Beans. Made in the USA. I would guess these lines should hold up fairly well against E10.

Scriv, I noticed when I got some of the expensive stuff (99 grade) the other day, that even that has become E5 now!

Any thoughts on nitrile cork gaskets? I read on a British bike forum tat E10 will bugger them like a knife going through butter...as I have one in the fuel tank for the gauge assembly, and it was never very good anyway....

I can certainly testify that it is no friend to carburettor floats. Had to replace both on my BMW R100RS and research strongly indicates that absorption of ethanol, or possibly one of the other aromatics in modern fuel, is the culprit. Thankfully my 45 has a brass float, but should it fail I will be replacing it with the aftermarket "rubber ducky" type which is said to be ethanol proof.

I can certainly testify that it is no friend to carburettor floats. Had to replace both on my BMW R100RS and research strongly indicates that absorption of ethanol, or possibly one of the other aromatics in modern fuel, is the culprit. Thankfully my 45 has a brass float, but should it fail I will be replacing it with the aftermarket "rubber ducky" type which is said to be ethanol proof.

Bloody hell. Turbulent times ahead. Bet this time next year, they'll be many tales of woe....

I put E10 in yesterday which means I have to ride today or the fuel might go off.

Bloody hell. Turbulent times ahead. Bet this time next year, they'll be many tales of woe....

To be fair, "ordinary" E5 does the same, but presumably over a longer period. The bike's 1977 and they may well have been original floats, so I can't really complain; I will however be draining the tanks and carbs if I lay the bikes up for winter. A bind, but may prevent issues the following year.

To be fair, "ordinary" E5 does the same, but presumably over a longer period

I've run my 96 FL for 16 years now, and the previous owner for 10 years before that, and in my ownership have had to replace the nitrile gasket in the fuel gauge compartment twice, both times in the last 5 years or so. I've used Hylomar blue to beef up the seal, but it definitely failed along with the gasket, which literally fell apart. There's Hylomar in there again.....how long has E5 been around?

Last edited:
I put some E10 in the Panhead on the way back from Baskerville the other day (was running on fumes and the Esso garage wasn’t holding any of the old stuff - didn’t know about the E5 differences at the time), ran fine for the rest of the way home, if a little leaner than usual.
There is just under half a tank left of the stuff which I’m guessing I should either ride out or decant rather than leave it in there for too long.

Thoughts?

I rode to Switzerland and back last week. Used E10 95 and E5 98 alternatively. No running problems, but I let it run low on the way back and filled up with E5 outside Folkstone. I'm not planning to leave fuel in my bikes if left for longer than a month.

Back