For auction: *NEW* 1978 75th anniversary XLH

Tax on something that old is only 5 per cent if I remember correctly; unless that's changed since Brexit.

It wouldn't need SVA due to its age.
This. More than 10 years old, so MOT not MSVA. If there is no US registration document, you need proof of the date it was manufactured.

Getting vehicle approval
Get vehicle approval to show that your imported vehicle meets environmental and safety regulations. You’ll need proof of approval to register the vehicle.
If your vehicle was first registered or manufactured more than 10 years ago, you might not need approval.

As far as import duty is concerned:
Collectors’ vehicles
Classic or collectors’ cars will be classified under heading 9705 if they meet the criteria of legally binding note 1 to chapter 97 of the tariff.
Those less than 30 years old are generally not considered to be classic or collectors’ cars. These and all other cars are classified under heading 8703.
Racing cars which can be proven to have been designed, built and used solely for competition, may be classified under chapter 97 only if they’ve achieved significant sporting successes at prestigious national or international events.
Vehicles may be eligible for historic collector’s status within heading 9705. This heading:
- includes parts which are ‘original authentic’ as opposed to ‘modern replica’
- excludes modernised, ‘hot-rodded’ or modified vehicles
To be eligible individuals must provide information showing:
- the year of manufacture
- whether they have made any substantial changes to the vehicle
Repairing and restoring is allowed. Broken or worn-out parts, accessories and units can be replaced, provided that the vehicle is preserved and maintained in its historically correct condition.
HMRC recommend that an Advance Tariff Ruling is obtained before such a vehicle is imported. This ruling cannot be issued for goods already presented for Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) customs import procedures.

Tarrif Heading 9705

IIRC, the summary is:
if it's classified as "historic", then there is no import duty and VAT is 5%.

Thanks Garethr, I may be pressing for further details from HM C&E. It would appear I have been ripped off.

Tax on something that old is only 5 per cent if I remember correctly; unless that's changed since Brexit.

It wouldn't need SVA due to its age.
Its would be a strange one if it comes to the UK now. There was a brand new unregistered 1970's Vespa that was used as a shop display in Canterbury, it had never been registered or on the road, the chap that bought it gave up trying to register it with dvla because it had not been registered before it would need to meet all current regulations for a "new vehicle now" including emissions' etc certificates of conformity or undergo a full SVA test and one off type approval. And the import tax, it is brand new and never registered so no title in the USA to import as second hand and get the NOVA cert. It may well be subject to the same taxes as a brand new 2023 Harley.

Thanks Garethr, I may be pressing for further details from HM C&E. It would appear I have been ripped off.
Where your panniers are concerned, the difficulty, I suspect might be proving their age.

Parts is a different animal to complete vehicles. Some years ago I ran a 1963 GMC pick-up truck, and had similar issues so I sympathise.

That's quite possible Kev.

Nonetheless, after navigating HMRC websites with precious little definitive advice, including a phone call to some 'Bot' asking for numbers I simply didn't have, I found a form for Border Force BOR286 which I printed out, filled in, sent copies of all relative documents along with five photos of the bags, one showing the greatly 'shrunken' pop studs a good two inches apart (shrinkage due to age), and the rotted and broken off closing strap - ditto.

Can but try.

Back when I did age plates for us the DVLA would often just make folks jump through hoops to test their resolve - for example, one bloke will have a dealer certificate of age and they'd (back then) say he needed one from us then someone with our cert would be told he needed one from a dealer!!

Back