free spirit belt tensioner

watchman

Club Member
has anyone used one of these with any success ? do they work and stop you snapping belts and are the ullys reliable in use ? as i fancy one :anonymous:

Re: free spirit belt tensioner

hello Barry used one on my Buell ,,, still broke belts ,

loved the bike but didn't want the electronics ,,

very good on fuel and went like stink ,, stopped on a sixpence ,, handled like it was on rails

no real problems in the 7,000 i had it

john

hey john thanks for response think cabin fever setting in fancy one but belt issues putting me off and seat height too :boxing:

they are tall ,, i managed to get some industrial machine belts that fitted,,, o lot cheaper . and i didn't brake one of those ,

they are easy to replace ,, thats there good point .

it doesn't feel like a big twin as it revs very fast

john

Had a Free spirits on my Ully when I had it as well as the XB12SS I had briefly, didnt snap a belt when I had it, 6000+ miles I think I did on mine, I used it daily for a commute into London through the winter as well as a couple of long distance rallies, all without a issue. I believe the earlier ones were slightly taller and you can get lower seats as well.

Its a great go anywhere/do anything bike IMO

recon its a no go for me tried one yesterday too tall !!! would need gary glitters boots to reach deck properly shame :upset: thanks for input gents

the missis had one on her xb9sx easy too fit and didn't break a belt n the 13000 miles she has it

Snapped a belt on my Ully at 16k the bearings in the idler wheel seized and friction took over. fitted new belt and free spirits tensioner and all is well. Ullys are just Buells on longer shocks and forks look on e bay for XB12S or XB12R suspension parts, then you have a lowered Ully

I've had two of them and put a total of more than 50,000 miles on them plus more on various demonstrators when I was running Black Bear. I love them and used them as my default bike for commuting, touring, bombing about and even a little off road. I was unluckier than most and broke two belts which hurts at >£200 a pop. Free Spirits belt tensioner is definitely recommended mainly to reduce stress on the gearbox output shaft.

You probably tried an XB12X which was the first model launched in 06, had a tall seat initially as well as taller more off road oriented suspension. Lower seats were available or you could have it reupholstered.

In 2008 they launched the XB12XT which was more touring oriented with a lower seat height, top box and panniers fitted as standard and a conventional front fender rather than the "beak" fitted to the X.

Steve

Back