Front wheel upgrade heritage softail 2005

Riktor696

Club Member
Hi I wanna upgrade my front wheel to a 21".
*can I use my original fender
*can I keep original rear wheel
*where do you recommend buying said rim from

Anything I missing please let me know and help if you can please

The Devon Rim Co. has a very good reputation. You should be able to keep the rear wheeI, can't see a reason why not. Can't help with the Fender but width of new tyre compared to old has to be taken into account. Someone will know.

You can relace to your stock rim or use a softail custom (fxst) front wheel assy which is a 21” there lies the bug Basically a 21“ hoop will put the rubber about an inch above your front fender where it is now then 3/4” clearance for fender plus fender itself so maybe 2” on top of it then compress forks to see where things are possibly going to touch ,the softail custom front tubes are 24” compared to your heritage which are 21.5” to prevent touch under braking so longer tubes fitted with the longer cowbells available in the aftermarket may be the way forward the rear you already have can stay and then its fender time…….which is governed by tyre profile and make chosen plenty in the after market ,i seem to recall an old thread in here on this as someone was interested in doing a similar job on a glide when it was fashionable check clearance with a bit of plumbing grey lagging foam it follows fender curve nicely (y)

As an after thought a 21” wheel and tyre contact patch aint great we used to redo dyna wides and softail customs down to 19” from 21” to improve handling in bends….

It depends on you as its your build and if a 19” fits with the look your aiming for as we all see and build em different and its what makes them personal i started with an 02 fatboy thats now on reincarnation 4 after many years and mods 42DFDB45-E848-43FD-88FC-9AFDBB8E03D2.jpeg5DDA9DD5-0842-4CAA-8AF3-26AC348031A9.jpeg0D0CE99A-D566-46F5-A96D-0B86CF2D0647.jpeg5DDA9DD5-0842-4CAA-8AF3-26AC348031A9.jpeg0D0CE99A-D566-46F5-A96D-0B86CF2D0647.jpeg

This site will calculate the difference in radius. You can select Imperial or metric results.

LINK >>>>
It's car-oriented, only works with metric sizing, and won't be 100% accurate, but it will give you an idea.

For example, if you change from MT90-16 (equivalent, I believe, to 130/90-16) to 90/90-21, you will have to find an additional 30mm or so of mudguard clearance.

Screenshot_2022-12-15-21-27-07-862.jpeg

i put a 21" on my RK, best thing i ever did to it IMO, handled so much better turning in etc but you need to do it properly or it will ride badly and look even worse.

you will need to fit a drop in 2" fork lowering kit to bring the front end back in line or the bike wont handle nicely at all
make sure you get a 3.5" rim, that way you will get the same contact patch as you do with the current 16" the 120 tyre is stretched but is fine

yes you can use your stock front mudguard, enlarge the mounting holes so you can manipulate it a little if you need to.

Last edited:
Do you recon he will need a 2” lowering kit on a heritage ? its going to bring everything very close to frame ect With a stock fender and tubes ? Whereas a 19“ and the fxst tubes will bring it level…

the 2" drop will bring it back to the same height as with the 16" wheel fitted, thats what i did on the RK, i dont see why it would be any different on a softail.
just had a quick look at HD forums and i see threads that say a 1" or 2" drop is whats needed

linky to thread
1671206405889.png

Reactions: M&M
Sure looks good wonder how much clearance between fender and light bar ? Especially under 2 up braking wonder if it touches hard to tell from this angle

close up of my old RK
1671208280476.png

I dont think the bar and the guard would ever make contact, the fork would bottom out before that

Now thats nice ! 7A77977F-7E16-4C9A-B75E-772DED494709.jpegon a softail it dips around 2.5-3 inches under hard braking with progressives in be good to see how this one shapes up on a heritage the light bar if retained is about an inch below the bottom yoke

Looks like it fits yay

IMG-20230415-WA0002.jpeg

Back