Fuel injection problem

STS 95

Club Member
2007 Buell Ulysses. Fuel is getting to the injectors, electricity is getting to the injectors, the signal telling them to fire is not getting to them. So that leads me to think that the crank position sensor is not doing its job. Question, where exactly is the crank sensor located on a 2007 Ulysses engine ?
I have posted this on the Buell section as well.

Sorry but it is not visable either behind the oil filter nor on the left crankcase. there are no wires in the area to lead you to a sensor. this begs the question where is the dammed thing? Is the timing for the fuel injection fired off the cam sensor ?

I think up to 07 models had cam position censors, changed to crank sensors in 08.
I had an 07 STT, don't remember a crank sensor. Cam sensor probably under cam casing.
Someone with more Buell knowledge will probably be along shortly. Should never have sold mine, miss it to this day.

I have come to the conclusion that it must be a cam position sensor, so tomorrow I am going to have a look inside there.

Cam sensor found and replaced. Timing as per the manual. ECM removed and installed in another buell all good. Fuel injectors sonic bath cleaned and tested all good. Fuel primes and comes up the fuel line ( new fuel pump and filter and pressure regulator ) and reaches the injectors but will not squirt fuel into the engine. Somebody must have a line of inquiry to check out ?

Cam sensor found and replaced. Timing as per the manual. ECM removed and installed in another buell all good. Fuel injectors sonic bath cleaned and tested all good. Fuel primes and comes up the fuel line ( new fuel pump and filter and pressure regulator ) and reaches the injectors but will not squirt fuel into the engine. Somebody must have a line of inquiry to check out ?

Worth talking to Northants V Twin, they know there way around the idiosyncrasies of Buell running problems and are usually ver amenable to chatting through problems on the phone. They also hold a lot of difficult to obtain used electrical spares for Buell’s. I was considering buying a Ulysses a few months ago and chatted to them about the common running problems that people encounter on them and they did say that a lot of the electronics are difficult to source now and that buying one to use as a daily ride, would be a bit of risk due to the amount of time it takes to find spares, when they inevitably fail.

Problem solved, John Lilly of Long Johns Motorcycles did a fuel pressure test and despite a new fuel pump realised that the problem lay there. Upon inspection he noticed that an O ring on the fuel pressure regulator was missing. Why is it always the simple shit that ***** you over. Bike now running and all for a simple O ring.

Back