Mechanical How to date my engine

Philistine

Club Member
Evening all,
I require advice on dating the engine in my 2007 Streetbob. Even though the bike was registered in 2007 my thoughts are the engine could still be 2006 due to production line versus sales. The reason for asking is it has 43k miles on the clock and I am wondering about the cam chain tensioners, are they hydraulic or not (apparently fitted to 2007 engines). Also I don't know if its a 96A or 96B engine. I have the engine number but can't seem to find anything useful on t'interweb.
I could remove the casing and look, but forewarned is forarmed as my old dad used to say.

Thanks in advance
Phil

According to Donny Petersen's book on the Twin Cam Engine:

Hydraulic Cam chain tensioners were fitted to Dynas in 2006 and all other models from 2007 onwards.

Good luck,

Fuz.

It was my understanding that all 96 / 103's after 2006 were equipped with hydraulic tensioners. If there was a cross over, I'd be interested as I have a 2006 build 96B in my 07 registered Fatbloke.

It was my understanding that all 96 / 103's after 2006 were equipped with hydraulic tensioners. If there was a cross over, I'd be interested as I have a 2006 build 96B in my 07 registered Fatbloke.
Yes that is also my understanding, 88CI have the original spring tentioned cam chain tentioners 96CI have the modified hydraulic tentioners.

06 dynas onwards street bob ect had the later camplate and oil pump assy which was then spread across the range on the 07 bikes inclusive regardless of capacity except for cvo screaming eagle models the street bob is an A engine as are all rubber mounts the B engine is for the rigid mount frames softail ect ignoring sportys which were rigid then rubber mount later
me i would pop cover and look for peace of mind…..scratch_head

Back