Is a 750 Street worth having?

Davep254

Club Member
Hi all,
My mate is going to look at a Street for sale on Wednesday afternoon. He?s had a couple of Evo big twins years ago but wasn?t too keen.
He?s asked my opinion on the Street but apart from the fact I don?t really like the look of them I can?t tell him anything about them.
Are there any particular things he should look out for, and are there any particular problems with them? Forewarned is forearmed as they say.

Cheers, Dave.

Re: Is a 750 Street worth having?

Dave - theres a load of threads in the Street 750 section of the forum

One man's meat is another man's poison. If your mate likes the look and after a test ride likes the experience then he should go for it. They are cheap and lightweight, economical to run (for a Harley) and should handle ok. Personally, for me it's too small, a diet coke version of a Harley and very bland, but I have seen on the web some great looking customised flat tracker versions.

Well i got to sit on a Street Rod this Saturday whilst in Chester HD picking up gaskets and fasteners and thought it was a cracking thing (especially for someone with a fucked hip). I am 6' and thought it felt ok. Not sure why there isn't a rev counter on it unless its in the small digital bit where mileage would normally appear. Yes they dont have a good sound, and they appear to sound even worse with the aftermarket can on (after watching some Youtube clips) but looks like it should handle well. Hope your mate picked one up as they look like fun.
Chester HD had offers on this weekend and the Street Rod was reduced to 6200 GBP from 7000 GBP. I reckon its a good buy and of course because they dont sell well, if your mate hates it then he can park it up in the garage for 40 years and then sell it for a fortune as all those weird and wonderful oddities that people thought were shit, 40 years are now worth bucks. Cant go wrong hey

Sat on one at Reading H-D on Saturday and the only criticism was your heel on the right side actually rests on a rubber block on the exhaust and feels a bit odd compared to the Left one which is a standard footpeg.

I would suggest a test ride before you part with cash instead of a Sportster noting the latter will probably retain it's resale value better.

Last week I dropped by Sykes HD, formally Shaws, and got chatting about the Street to two of their crew. They say it is still selling fairly well, especially (as we'd have guessed) to riders below 40 or even 30. They have a handful of folks who use them to commute etc and they do get trade ups when the owners get older (insurance again) but they did observe that many of these Street owners are not traditional HD people and so do not appear at rallies etc. That could explain why we have not seen all that many at club events?

Looks like the MoCo strategy is thankfully working then, thank goodness. I am equally sure that the new adventure model will also attract a different demographic again. which is also welcomed.
Despite easy access to finance, not everyone will be willing or want to get up to the hilt into debt to own an old fashioned big twin. The price of new glides etc makes me cringe let alone a younger audience. Plus I am sure that a few of the new demographic won't feel association with the old buggers on their big twins as well.
As said previously, I quite like the street rod 750 for what it is and for its honesty in not trying to be something its not.
If i had to commute I would definitely consider one, despite the risk of sportster owners telling me its not a real Harley, the big twin owners telling the sportster owners theirs is not a real Harley, the Evo owners telling the TC owners theirs isn't a real Harley and shovel owners telling most people that theirs was the last real Harley and finally of course its not got a kick start its not a real Harley

Well being the owner of a 2019 street rod, I can say for me it was the right choice. I have been off bikes for just over 13 years. The bike is very light, handles extremely well. Comfortable to ride ( I am 6'1). (Having previously owned 3 1200 trophys, 1 thunderbird, 1 BMW R850, 1 R1, 1 Honda 750, 1 80 FLH and one 77 XLCH) I reckon this one will suit me for a few years to come.

When the finances are a bit better perhaps a big V twin will be in my garage once again :)

Last year I looked at the Street and Street Rod for something to do as i was in the process of retiring form work early (6 years early). I sat on both and although initially I liked the Rod, however it did seem to appeal to the younger rider. The position of the exhaust on the Rod also meant that for someone like me with a shorter inside leg the chances of burning my ankle when putting my foot on the ground was very likely. I then decided to opt for the XG750 which for me was the right choice. I did try to purchase one from my local HD in Southampton but didn't find them to be very helpful. Whilst passing the Reading HD I called in and found them to be much more helpful and more or less bought one on the spot. The bike has been fantastic and very comfortable to ride around the New Forest. After market parts are still a bit limited but hopefully in time this will change. Definitely a good bike for someone to get back in to biking and the price is extremely competitive with other road bikes of similar size.

I have recently jumped in feet first and bought one , XG750A Street rod ,purely due to the fact I liked the look and sound as it has vance and hines fp3 fitted,mine was a private sale with 3k miles and I have only basically rode it home but it felt very nice to me ,so my plan is to get plenty of miles under my belt when the weather picks up and hopefully I get on with it ,but for the most part my point t is if it feels right for you go for it .and don't take other peoples opinions as we all like different things..or the world would be a boring place.

I think it is time the club did a revue of the bike, asked our members with them, ask some dealers and use our website/FB pages to get feedback. Publish the result in the club mag.

Back