Living in Suffolk

Re: Living in Suffolk

I like Suffolk and always fancied moving there. We sometimes meet at the White Horse in Edwardstone. One year I stayed near Lavenham and walked to the pub at night. It was about 4 miles and the scenery and countryside was beautiful. Typical gentle Suffolk landscape. Had to get a lift home on the Saturday on account of the local brew. Bury is a nice town and the area is full of custom bike builders with Krazy Horse at the upper end, but they have a great little cafe that does good burgers. Not a reason to move there, but certainly makes it more attractive.

Oh well i'll say it ........Ipswich .....there i feel better for that ! strangely no ones said go & live there its a lovely place but there's plenty of villages near by & its handy if you need to commute without all the painfully slow branch lines that lead there..right that should add to the discussion..i'm off before the curfew ...

We have discussed various places where I might lay my hat this included the beautiful counties Cornwall and Devon but as we plan to move from a fairly damp at times Cumbria the weather is a major point this will influence our decision plus the county of Cumbria often feels like a million miles from Nowhere especially links to France so at the moment Suffolk is leading the race followed by Somerset but we are leaning towards Suffolk it's just finding the right place. We live in a rural village so we will look for the same again, I YouTubed Suffolk and there seems to be an abundance of quintessential English villages for us to explore and hopefully find our field of dreams

Well, when you do make it, you will be more than welcome to R27... Our monthly meet is at The Retreat, Thorney Green, Stowupland. 2nd Thursday of the month.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

One of my best friends moved near Whattisham airbase some years ago. Stunning area, beautiful pubs and villages. Lovely people wish I could spend more time there.

Hi Andy
I'm surprised no one has answered you yet, but I guess it depends on what kind of lifestyle you want, what sort of infrastructure you need

how do Geoff well the ball is rolling, next week we are having a mooch about possibly looking at 2 properties towards Beccles and in October we will hopefully look at a few in the Bury St Edmunds area, a slight concern is traffic my sister lives in a small place in Hertfordshire i know its a different county but its not to far away anyway the traffic is horrendous. i'm presuming that its nothing like that area but its something thats niggling away, i was wondering about various area of Suffolk i.e. is the Beccles area more desirable or is the area towards Bury St Edmunds a nicer place to live.

Well, voting with my feet, I'm currently camped in our motorhome with some mates in a field a couple of miles outside BSE, a personal favourite for an East weekend getaway. We tend to pass by Beccles on the way elsewhere, so tbh don't know much about it. Away from the coast, traffic is really mostly on the A14, so if you're away from that, you're in clover. The problem with the coast is all the b****y bikers hurtling up and down the roads from Hunny down to Lowestoft...

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

cheers Geoff i will swerve the A14 i think i have been on it when we camped up at the Soggy Moggie rally at Godmanchester

so Guys we are viewing 3 x properties this weekend my sister lives in Hertfordshire so she is kindly driving us about, the areas are all near Diss i.e. Thwaite, Wortham and Palgrave so is there anything that i need to know about this area. My other concern is Suffolk becoming a commuter belt for London or is that just a load of bollocks by folk trying to put me off.

Hi i do like that area around Diss & especially Botesdale /Rickinghall . I always find Diss a nice place & the Waveney valley area.I will say that Suffolk is a commuter belt for London & diss is a main line station for that but with the 'virus' will people tend to commute so much ? Good luck with house hunting .

Hi i do like that area around Diss & especially Botesdale /Rickinghall . I always find Diss a nice place & the Waveney valley area.I will say that Suffolk is a commuter belt for London & diss is a main line station for that but with the 'virus' will people tend to commute so much ? Good luck with house hunting .

Cheers Roger I think it's the thought of large sprawling estates springing up, you buy a nice secluded cottage and next min a large estate appears. We currently live in a farming village with a population of about 200 or less so sprawl ain't our thing

Councils are in the throes of putting together their Local Plans that identity development areas up to 2035. Check the local authority websites to see what may be on the cards in the not too distant future.

Yeh good call from Dynalow its amazing how many houses are being built ,i passed through Saxmundham on the train last week & it seems a huge new estate has been bunged on the end of the town ! Stowmarket as well seems to be growing by the day so do check the local plans .Going back to the Diss area its perfect in the summer for a ride to two wheel tuesdays at Old Buckenham one of the best bike meets there is.

So we ventured into darkest Suffolk yesterday and we had an enjoyable day we managed to view 3 x properties 2 of them were very rural I.e. maybe 6 houses within the vicinity a lovely one near Thwaite but maybe we need abit more going on. So we viewed one that is only a 10 walk from Diss but still felt rural so we are contemplating putting an offer in so a productive day really which included a walk into Diss which seems to be a decent market town that has retained most of its character but any advice will be gratefully recieved

Last edited:

Hi there
Well strangley after a 'classic' ride old bsa's/triumph's we ended up in Diss on saturday at the Angel Cafe which seems always to serve up food breakfasts it's at Fair Green which you may have passed if you came in from Palgrave .It's the busiest i've seen the town with plenty of traffic along the main drag.Glad you had a good look round the area i'm sure the weathers not always that grim or cold , bit of a shock bigger gloves needed next time. Palgrave always seems a nice place & i've even managed not to get lost there now as long as i can see the church i know where i am the bonus seems to be that its just out of town but within touching distance of what you need.Sorry i can't tell you what its like to actually live around there but my brother in law does & he says its fine.

Cheers Roger I think it's the thought of large sprawling estates springing up, you buy a nice secluded cottage and next min a large estate appears. We currently live in a farming village with a population of about 200 or less so sprawl ain't our thing

Exactly what's happening to me. I've long held the theory that if you're countryside people, you fit in anywhere rural, which is why I found the move down here relatively seamless. But when the townies start creeping in, out come the pitchforks and torches; because there's absolutely no doubt that the culture and character of the village changes, usually for the worse once the invasion starts.

Back