Other People's Bikes. Part One

Some ingenious detailing, definitely a bit 'Steam punk' in places. Not sure I like all that copper piping myself, and that seat! What seat?
Two things that stand out as poorly compromised; 1 The battery location. 2 The rear chain adjuster bolts butting up aganist the spindle nut flats?! So before a spanner/socket can be put on the spindle nut, slack off the adjuster bolt!

But there's much to like as well. Love the Halfpenny in the rear caliper. The Raleigh badge on the air cleaner . . hmm. A very personal machine in so many ways, just a bit 'busy' with the pipework. She loves it, and I can see why. Well done, and well done 'Dad'.

Some interesting bits, the wedge to suit the angle of the sidestand to the hight of the bike is a neat bit of work. My seat would need more seat than that to get more than a mile or two down the road.

There's been a lot of work done to keep the bike lean with everything well tucked away so I can see why the battery is where it is and if it's a AGM one it would be fit and forget with a optimate type lead tucked away. Protection from stuff thrown up by the rear tyre could be handy though.

I think the rear wheel adjusters are back to front. The video said it's been done that way to stop the wheel moving and remove the need to do up the spindle very tight which crushes the box section swinging arm nut. Surely if the wheel moved it would be forward, pulled by the rear chain. There should be no need to do up the spindle nut very tight and 1970 on the torque figure is 50 ft lbs (Clymer manual). If it has taper roller wheel bearings the correct figure needs keeping to.

My Ironhead has slight crushing damage in this area but with the many trick bits her Dad has made some better fitting HD style wheel adjusters should be easy for him to make up to stop this. I wish I had half his ability.

That Shovel is both a shrine and a museum. The former to the ingenuity of applied mechanical skill, the latter to the collective age of the collected bits.
Were I the wrong 'sort', I might dare the Devil's estates to pinch that tail light.......

These pics popped up on another forum. I know none of it is Harley, but does anyone know what the Indian part is?

The OHV top ends look like AJS/Matchless (seen that done to WLs), but what about the crankcases? Indian Powerplus?

13E6bVZk.jpg

Sp42hZno.jpg

I think you were spot on with G80 barrels/heads and Powerplus bottom end (from my limited Indian knowledge).

Back