Other People's Bikes. Part Two

Skip

Anybody know the best weight anti-freeze for a Knuckle?

Petruzzi+Knucklehead.jpg

Feature-1a-June-14-Kerri.jpg

5d.jpg

... and some engines
2bc0322041eac61cde9e8bb66bce9c35.jpg

20130416-103106.jpg

29950965185_2af2ebd6d3_b.jpg

DSC_0672-633x422.jpg

KnuckleFile (5).jpg

KnuckleFile (6).jpg

KnuckleFile (11).jpg

KnuckleHead_4.jpg

wtrcldnuk.jpg

These things make me smile and wonder at what could-have-been, had the idea been developed and refined without complicating what is rather a simple set-up.
....a lot more could be said of these strange creatures. Of their origins I will post in Part Two of Two

Added complexity and weight. And anyway - fins are pretty.
Human 'nature' is a strange thing.

Part Two of Two
Origins.
The Drake engine for race cars.
drake_engine_01.jpg

drake_engine_03.jpg

leo_de-tonni_01.jpg

drake-water-cooled-engine-3.jpg

image4_zps10ac7a6a.jpeg

s-l300.jpg

The last two I put in to show up how the first Drakes were made with cylinder and head as one piece. The difficulty in doing a valve job on one of the earlier types is self-evident; thus they went to the separate heads as you can see in the above pics.

...kind'a suprized noone made note of that I-beam early springer f/e on one of'em.

Some more about the Drake engines. Sorry about the quality of the first image, still struggling with posting pictures.

I've posted the this one again lower down to make it more readable.

20230220_171434.jpg

20230220_170506.jpg

Not a lot of the original engine left by the time it had been finished with.

Last edited:
Must be frustrating for a V-series restorer who needs forks to see them on this knuck.
By the way, I feel sure that I recall the "birth" of long forks on customised Harleys began with fitting XA forks which were slightly longer, mainly then for ground clearance than style. (kinda got out of hand in later years!)

Back