Screamin Eagle Pushrod Help.

softail898

This is a bit of a long shot but I have lost one of the nuts from the Adjustable Pushrods. It is a 3/8"-24 TPI UNF Half Nut (or Jam Nut) and a 1/2" spanner fits the flats. I Can get the right size nut online BUT the Spanner Size to fit is 9/16"! Looks like H-D have invented a one off size nut for their Pushrods.
Does anyone have an old S/E Adjustable Pushrod lying around their toolbox (with the Nut) that they have no use for?
TIA...Pat.

9/16 is the standard AF size for that thread. Could you buy standard and file or grind it to 0.5" ?
It's only 1/32" each side which should be fairly easy to remove.

Yes I have come to that conclusion too. But after research on the Net I may have found another option. A 5/16" 24TPI UNF nut is 1/2" across flats so would it be possible to Tap a 3/8" thread into a 5/16" Nut? Is there enough metal to make the 3/8" Thread? Any Engineers out there?

I can't see why not. The 3/8 uses a letter Q tapping drill (preferred - 8.433 mm though 8.5 mm won't kill it) and the major diameter of the 5/16 thread is 7.93 mm. Since both are 24 tpi it's a moot point. Just drill and tap, if there are any thread remnants just make sure to line things up.

Thanks for the help and info. Stig. I have ordered a 8.4mm Drill, a few 5/16" Half Nuts and I have the 3/8" Tap so should be easier than filing down a 9/16" Nut.
Thanks Simon for the Zeus Booklet. Very handy reference.
:thank_you:

Back