Softail voltage regulator to harness

nicchopproject

Hi guys, building a chop. Got a full Softail wiring harness, but, have no cable or connection from voltage regulator via 30A fuse to the battery/starter/harness. Have main red cable going to ignition and have the little B connector, but nothing getting the power to the loom. I have taken the big red cable form a road king loom, so could use part of it, but just trying to figure out where to connect power to the harness. I have a manual and wiring diagram, but can’t see on my loom, where it connects. Plus, the Softail harness came without the 30A fuse … any help would be appreciated… Cheers

Here is the diagram for the Starter Circuit, (from my 2000 FXST), and also diagram where the Regulator is attached to the Starter Circuit. If you are not going to have a 30A Circuit Breaker which I wouldn't recommend, then connect the Black Wire from the Regulator which would go to the Circuit Breaker to the Red Wire that goes to the Ignition Switch and the Black Wire from the Starter Motor all together. This will give you power to the Wiring Loom and a circuit for the Regulator to charge the Battery. If you are going to have a Circuit Breaker or Fuse just connect as per the diagram.
Hope this helps.
Pat.

Attachments

• Starter Wiring.jpg
    Starter Wiring.jpg
    470.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Regulator.jpg
    Regulator.jpg
    544 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Here is the diagram for the Starter Circuit, (from my 2000 FXST), and also diagram where the Regulator is attached to the Starter Circuit. If you are not going to have a 30A Circuit Breaker which I wouldn't recommend, then connect the Black Wire from the Regulator which would go to the Circuit Breaker to the Red Wire that goes to the Ignition Switch and the Black Wire from the Starter Motor all together. This will give you power to the Wiring Loom and a circuit for the Regulator to charge the Battery. If you are going to have a Circuit Breaker or Fuse just connect as per the diagram.
Hope this helps.
Pat.
Hi Pat, yeah that’s roughly what I was going to do, go from regulator through fuse to starter and battery. May have to put (from those cables) a feed to the 15A fuse and fuse board, but I still can’t see where my ignition switch is supposed to be connected to those main cables actually on my loom. The cable goes to the starter relay but can’t see where it picks that direct power up. It’s clear on the diagrams but not on the loom itself, lol
Nick

The feed for power comes from the RED Wire attached to the "B" Terminal on the Ignition Switch. When the Ignition is turned on that power (12V) is put onto the Red/Black and Red/Grey wires which feed everything on the bike. Follow the Red/Black wire from the Ignition Switch and you will see it goes to Terminal "E" on the Starter Relay. When the Relay is operated by pressing the Start Button on the Bars, power leaves the Start Relay on the Green wire (Terminal "K") and goes to the Solenoid of the Starter Motor. When the Solenoid operates it makes a circuit for power Directly From The Battery to operate the Starter Motor. The Solenoid is in effect a Big Relay.
Sorry if I am teaching my Grandma to suck eggs but I am keeping it simple for clarity.
Good Luck. :encouragement:

Back