Spongy front brake

Duckman-Si

Club Member
Hi,
As the title says, I have a spongy front brake, on my 2012 Fat Boy.

The bike hasn't been ridden since October & the brake was fine at that time. Since its been sat I have moved it around the garage, so its not sitting on the same point on the tyres, the wheels turn freely so the brakes aren't stuck on.
The lever now comes right back to the bar, there are no leaks, that I can see so, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas what has happened.
I guess I need to bleed the system?
Sorry for what might seem like stupid questions but, I'm not very mechanically minded.

First thing to do is pump the lever, I guess you've already done that. Then check the fluid level. Should be a sight hole, or carefully remove the top cap on the master cylinder at the bar. Put some rag around it to protect your paint and cover the tank.

tie a tie to the lever when its pulled in overnight, , it might help, also it could be time to re=new the fluid

You say there is no leak but have you checked the Resevoir to see how much fluid is in there? If it is fairly full then you will still have to bleed the Brakes. Not difficult. Could be the old fluid is just worn out. When was it changed last?
Make sure you get the correct Dot Brake Fluid for your bike. Do Not mix Dot 5 with Dot 5.1 or all your Seals will turn to mush.
Good luck. 👍🏻

You say there is no leak but have you checked the Resevoir to see how much fluid is in there? If it is fairly full then you will still have to bleed the Brakes. Not difficult. Could be the old fluid is just worn out. When was it changed last?
Make sure you get the correct Dot Brake Fluid for your bike. Do Not mix Dot 5 with Dot 5.1 or all your Seals will turn to mush.
Good luck. 👍🏻
Regarding the grade of fluid , Dot 5 is recommended for my 2001 Dyna Wideglide but I have fitted a 6 Pot Harrison caliper to my front wheel. Do you reckon I should use Dot 5 or not ? . The caliper has been on for over a year now and everything seems o.k. What do you reckon ?

Regarding the grade of fluid , Dot 5 is recommended for my 2001 Dyna Wideglide but I have fitted a 6 Pot Harrison caliper to my front wheel. Do you reckon I should use Dot 5 or not ? . The caliper has been on for over a year now and everything seems o.k. What do you reckon ?
I fitted a Harrison to my shovel, using the OEM MC. They told me to stick with Dot 5. You could give them a ring to check. They have humans working there.

What brake fluid is in the Harrison Caliper at the moment? Dot 5 Brake Fluid is Purple in colour. The other types of Brake Fluid are either Clear or Yellow in colour. Dot 5 has advantages over Dot 5.1. It will not eat into your paint and does not absorb Water (condensation) so in theory can be left in your bike much longer than the other types of Brake Fluid. It cannot be used on Bikes/Cars that have ABS.

Just to be clear, Dot 3, Dot 4 and Dot 5.1 CAN all be mixed. Any of these should NEVER be mixed with Dot 5.
Dot 5 is Silicone based and the others are Glycol based.
Dot 5 can be used to clean up your Paintwork or Engine.

I fitted a Harrison to my shovel, using the OEM MC. They told me to stick with Dot 5. You could give them a ring to check. They have humans working there.
I had Dot 5 in before I fitted the Harrison so that is what is in there now. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Back