SuperTrapp - long vs short

garethr

Club Member
... The one system that I see consistent high numbers from is the SuperTrapp Super Meg but as you've already said you don't like the looks of it then that's no good to you. I've just fitted one to my 114" Heritage and I like the look. The sound is too quiet for me as I'm used to a Thunderheader but I can live with it for the performance....
My recently-acquired 96 inch Fat Bob currently has a standard exhaust system, which, along with the rear mudguard, is not one of my favourite features. I'd like to fit a 2 into 1 system, and my preference for the SuperTrapp SuperMeg system was strengthened when I found the above post, in terms of both sound (don't want it to be LOUD, just a bit louder) and performance (in case I ever let Fast Lane loose on the engine :)).

SuperMeg

supertrapp-supermeg-2-in-1-chrome-exhaust-for-harley-dyna-2012-2017.jpg

Then, browsing the SuperTrapp website, I see that, in addition to the SuperMeg, there are two short systems, which, to me, look better.

FatShots

fatshots_2-1_-_dyna.jpg

Bootlegger (I don't like the turnout end cap, but there are alternatives)

bootlegger_dyna_hi-res.jpg
Does anyone have experience of the short SuperTrapp systems? Do the shorter silencers make them inherently louder and less performance-orientated than the SuperMeg?

Reactions: M&M
i have used the supermeg on a few of my builds with ace results on the dyno give a good balance of power,torque,and noise with my preference being a combination of discs and open end cap especially on touring set ups where too much noise can be a pain after 2-3 hrs…with_glasses50DE7107-00AA-4F4B-93C5-CBBC41B734BE.jpeg

Do the shorter silencers make them inherently louder and less performance-orientated than the SuperMeg?
Yes. As a rule the shorter the muffler the less torque they produce. Saying that though I've never built or dyno tested anything with either of the two SuperTrapp systems you mention.

I have V&H short shots fitted on my '05, 88" Night Train. 4000 mls in 3 months, i am fecking done with them. Bring on my supermeg next year 🤣

You could remove the Cat from the Standard System, it's a 2-1-2 anyway.
I've just done one myself.
Easy to make a tidy Job as long as you can Weld....

Be careful of the short system if you want to fit panniers. My 1996 EG runs a Trapp which originally came from an FXR which was very short and upswept which required a bit of cut and shut to remove the upsweep and lengthening by 18" to clear the bags.

The things are great, like calk and cheese compared with the SE system I originally fitted.

Back