Tale of woe alternator

SteveBOB

Hello
relatively new to HD
battery stops charging so I check ac volts on the wires from alt = 22-25 volt at idle must be reg/rec then
replace said item still no charge
ac volts are disappearing as it warms up /under load
new stator needed
is my thinking correct?
where to buy?
how difficult to do ? special tools?
Thanks Steve

You haven't said what model and year as this can make a difference to output & removal, you can check the stator for short circuit and open circuit as well as A/C voltage output as attached below for example.

However if you are replacing the stator you will need to remove the full primary inner & outer case on some models, just the outer on others and will need a method of locking the primary drive and the sockets/torx drive to remove the compensator/drive sprocket and clutch basket on all models to remove primary drive.
The sizes and type of these will again depend on which model and year.

Attachments

• Alt Test.pdf
    537.1 KB · Views: 18
Inner primary has to come off, you need at 3/4 A/F for the clutch hub, the compensator is a 9/16 A/F hex bolt if original, not a Torx like the later ones. The above tests for the Alternator are about right.
You'll need a manual!

Reactions: M&M
You can avoid taking the inner primary off by the careful use of a die grinder to the interference areas where the alternator gets stuck.......there is plenty of material and a stupid thing that HD did. If you are not confident to do this you can use a file when the cover is off and make life easier next time around.......There's plenty of information on the web about this. HTH

Well that bits sorted now-----------------------------------50 miles later wont run not injecting fuel
all fuses checked
tried new battery
crank sensor
runs if I squirt fuel down the intake
got some noid lights to try later
any ideas chaps
Regards Steve

This thing is really fighting me still not charging new stator fitted getting 20v ac at plug
nowt coming out of the regulator pins hoping for 13-14v dc
second new regulator
anyone out there know what to check next?
getting desperate in wiltshire
Regards Steve

Where did you get your regulator?.
I had a brand new one from hog parts.
As shit as the one i took off. Duff right out the box.

I bought a cycle electrics one from ar harley. Money well spent.

If your using chinese copies in the 70 quid price range, they are tat. Get a decent quality one.

Do you have a mate you can swap one with?

Is that the same reading across all three of the terminals, so between 1 to 2, then 1 to 3 and 3 to 2.
Also does the reading increase when you increase the RPM, say to 3,000 rpm, the voltage should increase by around 20 volts, if it doesn't your alternator could still not be up to the job!

That would do it.... they can chaff under the motor, had that a few times!
Recon it may be wise to check the rubber mounts i had one where the mounts had perished and the lump had sagged and the movement allowed the cable to chaff bike only had 32k up but was used all year round it may be the culprit 🤔

Back