Thousand bucks waiting for Scriv...

Paul P.

H-DRCGB Archivist
Found this one from those blokes whose previous Forty-five video I posted (could be same bike?), if my paste doesn't work (they often don't..) then You Tube "$1,000 if you can start my Harley"

Paul, you just need to need to click on "share" under the YouTube video, then click "copy link", then paste into the forum post, and the forum software does the rest.

Peppered pistons. Timing a mile out. Blocked up carb. Broken plug wires. Dud coil. et cetera. Yeah come and start and my Harley.

It will cost you over a $1000 to get it started and I will gladly refund you $1000!

Piss easy when you know how..... ;)

DSCN0135_zps4e029767.jpg

Amen. No electric start fitted from 1995 to 2018 on two different bikes. I would remove it from my FXB but it ruins the originality LOL
Personally I'm comfortable with folk adding a kick-start to complement an existing electric foot; specially on stuff like Shovels where it's useful to loosen the engine off after standing a while, as a back-up and it helps when you're working on it too. But for the life of me I cannot understand why anyone would replace the electric start on a more modern bike; as I've said to one or two, would you retrofit a starting handle to your car?

I get the macho/self-satisfaction thing, though it's tempered by arthritic knees nowadays; but from bitter experience kick-only can also leave the rider looking a complete twunt if it goes tits-up! The usual argument is that it saves weight; it's a Harley FFS!

I've often cursed a car for not having a physical starter - for me its not a macho thing (me and macho having spoken for years...) it is a dependable thing. (of course you may get a different outlook from me when I'm down to my undies covered in sweat in a layby...)

I've often cursed a car for not having a physical starter - for me its not a macho thing (me and macho having spoken for years...) it is a dependable thing. (of course you may get a different outlook from me when I'm down to my undies covered in sweat in a layby...)
There are very few cars today, particularly in the price range you and I would be searching, which actually lend themselves to having a starting handle, due to the front wheel drive/transverse engine layout which predominates.

Hence why the Mini never had one. Although, believe it or not, an aftermarket kit was available to fit one.

Some bemoan the loss of the starting handle because back in the day, they were useful for setting the timing up, in the days when folk could actually work on cars. Not that they couldn't today but it's just not necessary. Of course, there's a work-round; you simply jack one side up at the front and put the car in top gear.

Methinks you are simply cursed with buying shit cars. ;)

Last edited:
What I really want is my dad's first car - a Bond three-wheeler with the Villiers engine attached to the front wheel...he used to open the flap and kick start it, it wasn't the "luxury" model with the Dyna-start!

Some bemoan the loss of the starting handle because back in the day, they were useful for setting the timing up, in the days when folk could actually work on cars. Not that they couldn't today but it's just not necessary. Of course, there's a work-round; you simply jack one side up at the front and put the car in top gear.

Starting Handle was also perfect if you met a few rowdies down the local High Street! :highly_amused:

Back