Top end rattle?

snowflake

H-DRCGB Treasurer
When I open up the throttle full whack I hear a rattle in the top end - what could that be?
Slightly worried I may have an 'issue' here.....:confused:

When I open up the throttle full whack I hear a rattle in the top end - what could that be?
Could be your Rocker Shafts rotating against the Bolts. Search google for "Rockouts". Clever, simple and cheap to fix the Tap Tap Tapping. :encouragement:

I've had a similiar issue, turns out it was the CRV in the rear head had broke down .

In the old days that would be pinking (pre ignition). A higher grade fuel or a tad lighter on the throttle would help it or a bit of retard on the ignition. In todays ignition mapping world if there's not a physical rattle causing it you could get in touch with Alix at Fast Lane Headwork, he knows his stuff.

Ron.

My top end rattle disappeared after I fitted my Vance and Hines pipes! ;). I luv 'em!
Seriously though, I was riding the bike at too low engine rpm. The noise comes and goes through 2000 rpm. Max torque on the M8 is at 3000 rpm so I now ride revving the engine more freely. I try to run it between 2500 and 3000 + rpm.
Seems to be an urban myth that Harleys will pull from very low revs and should be ridden that way?

Lugging an engine hurts em Alex has commented in here before about it as it loads the crank up ect its far better to keep a motor spinning freely as in the right gear right revs at the right time resulting in better response better mpg better engine life…… with_glasses

Back