Tyres for streetglide special 2017

Bluemooner

Hi,
Can anyone recommend a set of tyres to replace the OEM Dunlops. I am not happy with wet weather performance and want to change.
Any recommendations from fellow riders would be much appreciated

Avon Cobra Chrome give great grip levels in dry and wet conditions. The tyre profile encourages quick handling and good cornering characteristics. They will wear at a faster rate than the OEM tyres but thats the price to be paid for having such good grip levels.

Thanks, for the info guys, I have read that the Michelin commander 3 is good but makes a weird noise? I have been quoted for Bridgestone battlecruise but reviews are mixed.
Just need to hear of Harley bagger owners that ride in colder European conditions to make a final decision.
Some forums are suggesting that the Dunlop American elites are great but hard to get in UK.

Thanks, for the info guys, I have read that the Michelin commander 3 is good but makes a weird noise? I have been quoted for Bridgestone battlecruise but reviews are mixed.
Just need to hear of Harley bagger owners that ride in colder European conditions to make a final decision.
Some forums are suggesting that the Dunlop American elites are great but hard to get in UK.

Buddy of mine swears by American Elites and wouldn’t ordinarily fit anything else, however he’s just fitted a set of Cobra Chrome to his CVO Street Glide because he couldn’t get American Elites in this country. My feedback above is also from using Cobra Chromes on a Street Glide Special. We do plenty of miles in wet and cold conditions and I wouldn’t ride on anything other than Cobra Chrome because they are so good in cold and wet conditions.

Dunlop American Elite for me on 2019 Road Glide. Good in wet, long lasting. 23,000 miles on the first set.
I insisted they be installed pre-delivery. Read too many bad stories about the OEM Dunlops the bikes come with.
Widely stocked by dealerships down here. The workshops rate them.

Cheers for the tip, I would go with American elites but don’t seem to be able to find a supplier in the UK?
If anyone out there knows one please let me know

Seems to be a lot of muttering stateside about Cobra chromes being discontinued over there? Hoping that doesn't follow through to the U.K anytime soon as I am after a new rear boot.
They do grip fantastically well.
The rate of wear is high though and I'd like to know if anyone else suffers from the rapid transition between "that's getting a bit on the low side on tread- better think about a new tyre in the next 500 miles or so before it's illegal" to "FML! I need one tomorrow" within 70 miles or so?

Seems to be fine for 5K odd then, almost within a snap of the fingers, goes to "bleddy heck that's nearly gone!"

N' yes - I do check them at least every 100 miles (which is more than once a week) 🤠.

Seems to be a lot of muttering stateside about Cobra chromes being discontinued over there? Hoping that doesn't follow through to the U.K anytime soon as I am after a new rear boot.
They do grip fantastically well.
The rate of wear is high though and I'd like to know if anyone else suffers from the rapid transition between "that's getting a bit on the low side on tread- better think about a new tyre in the next 500 miles or so before it's illegal" to "FML! I need one tomorrow" within 70 miles or so?

Seems to be fine for 5K odd then, almost within a snap of the fingers, goes to "bleddy heck that's nearly gone!"

N' yes - I do check them at least every 100 miles (which is more than once a week) 🤠.

Production is being moved overseas to one of the Goodyear factories (who now own Avon tyres). Nothing to suggest that they are discontinuing Cobra’s, just not being made in Melksham anymore.

The yanks keep banging on about Avon tyres being discontinued due to the company closing and it doesn’t matter how many times you tell them production is moving, not ceasing, they just want to believe their own version of what is going to happen.

They’re a quick wearing tyre for sure. I tried an Avon Storm 3D on the back of my old Street Bob, that was as good as a Cobra in the wet and didn’t wear nearly as fast in the centre section. I think the Storm 3D may be a dual compound tyre. I might try one on the back of the Lowrider S when the current Cobra gets past its best.

Hi, just a thanks for all the advice, eventually went for Avon Cobra chromes, just got back from a 1400 tour of Scotland and they behaved immaculately. Brilliant in the dry and very sure footed in the wet.
The difference from OEM Dunlops is night and day, they are obviously softer compound but to be honest in UK conditions it is the performance in the wet that counts to me.
I would highly recommend them based on my tour where they took a pounding on a fully loadef streetglide special carrying lots of luggage and a three man tent.

Back