Which Buell

Chris Clem

Club Member
Thinking for a long time about buying a Buell. Pref tube frame but whats best S1, X1 or M2. Also would prefer a carb version. Theres not many of them here in Norn Iron so any help appreciated

Chris

Have you considered the S3 Thunderbolt at all, the most conventional (and so arguably the most practical?) which was also available with panniers? Only if you had touring in mind I guess?

X1 models all injected unless converted S1 models especially white lightning version so sexy the M2 had more room for my bum and throw overs and as Paul pointed out thunderbolts with panniers made more sense as a sport tourer and a fairing that actually worked well with_glasses

Common opinion is that the "best" one was the 2001 X1 Lightning, the only one that never had any recalls and was well sorted from the get go. As Watchman says the M2 Cyclone offers the best comfort particularly from 99 on because it had a bigger, comfier seat. It also has right way up forks which work remarkably well. The original S1 Lightning had the small fuel tank and 10 bhp less than the later S1W White Lightning and Lightning Strikes which had Thunderstorm heads as standard. My S1W White Lightning is the bike I have the strongest bond with and which I will never part with. I also have an S2T Thunderbolt which is quite rare and pre-dates the official import of Buells to the UK.

Your best source of information on Buells is www.ukbeg.com (the UK Buell Enthusiasts Group). Like many forums there are few users these days with most having defected to the Facebook page but there is a vast amount of information.

Good luck in your search.

Steve

Last edited:
Thanks for your help guys sounds like an X1 or Cyclone is the one. Not fussed on the looks of the S3 and just want something for a blast round the local twisty's

Back