Ideas for changing/improving the Shovel front brake switch

Gaz1

Club Member
Anyone have any ideas on how a hydraulic brake switch can be incorporated into the front brake on a twin calliper Shovel. I’m thoroughly fed up with changing the crappy little push button one that’s fitted as standard.

i drilled and tapped my brake-tee bolted under the lower yoke for the banjo-switch to get rid of it from the bars.
obviously it's not wired up in the pic, but you get the idea.
had to use the spacer to fill the gap where a banjo would normally be. copper washer either end to seal it.
could fit a generic hydrau-switch, but they tend to be much larger OD than those banjo switches?

brake tee.jpg

twin four-pot front end.
front calipers.jpg

I can't recall that I ever saw a hyd. brakelight switch mounted on the fork slider, or mounted lower than the tripl clamps.
The tidy(est) install I ever saw was an inline switch like this, only without the bracket portion:
20240412_115041_HDR.jpg

---(Opinion here)
The inline option does not necessarily require you to install it upstream of the splitter, but it's hard to see how it's installed downstream of the splitter without looking awkward----*

The simplest of installs I think would be to , a. buy a banjo adaptor fitting to screw into the mst. cyl. and, b. buying a replacement upper brake hose to fit & a double stack banjo-bolt. Goodrich hoses has many fittings to cover custom installs.

I gotta deal with this choise myself soon: Inline switch means a full replace of stock lines with S/S using -3 fittings as in pic above or,
replace one hose and one fitting with one hose and two fittings on current setup. Or even putting an inline switch 'tween mst. cyl. and splitter in pic below....... which would likely involve a deal of hunting for 2 'just-right' hoses or the expense of having them made up.**
20240412_115540_HDR.jpg

link for switch:

There would be very little to no clutter, sight-wise, to this option as the fitting + banjo switch + banjo on brakeline would not be 'over-long' compared to the stock setup.

All the above was thought out on 2 lines: Will the simplest solution be the most reliable? And, does the solution keep plumbing clutter....including wiring.... to a minimum?

Your options, plumbing-design-wise, are pretty broad here.

edit:
*awkward perhaps, tho i'd be easy enough to blend the wiring in with say, a front fender light.
**not really necessary to go looking for 2 'will fit' hoses; like as not it's cheaper to get a well set up hydraylics shop to cut the top hose to splice in 2 fittings the switch will go to.

Last edited:
Hi Skip.

Looking at your photo of your bike, isn't your brake pedal on the wrong way ?

It seems it should be more to the right; (see the black bit I've added) so it's in front of the
footrest when you push it.

Skip brake pedal.jpg

Hi Dave,
It's the wrong way sure. I did that to test my 'Grand Theory of Interference'. But the JB stuff (shifter & brake assmbls) are coming off. This '74 FXE is being restored, m.o.l. At any rate, all the custom stuff is coming off. This is the bike with the turn signals inside the swingarm.
I favor the 1980-82 FXWG setups, for shift & brake, on all my bikes....same setup... tho arthritis in left hand means going back to a jock-pedal one day.
Thanks for noticing.

Reactions: Ron
One of my ideas is to mount the (or rather a) master cylinder on the triple clamps...
In other words, run a cable from the handlebar down to a mst cyl.... and this fitted behind a neat cowl perhaps...... there is a Sportster sheet-metal cowl that bolts right up to any SG set of fork clamps.....
This one...... not the aluminun one
Other Peoples Bikes (98).jpg

... the idea is to try and get the observant people to do a double-take at a cable-actuated dual-disk set-up....

edit: Oops. fergot to add:
the cable idea above, coupeled with internal throttle, internal wiring and a jocky pedal...... would result in one very clean set of handlebars.....

Last edited:
BMW did this on their 1974 R 75/6 Boxer twin. The cable went from the hand lever to a master cylinder under the petrol tank. I don't remember the reasoning behind it but it was in the relatively early days of disc brakes so perhaps a suck it and see moment. A further thought, the BMs used very narrow handlebars so may not have had enough room for the master cylinder.

Last edited:
Anyone have any ideas on how a hydraulic brake switch can be incorporated into the front brake on a twin calliper Shovel. I’m thoroughly fed up with changing the crappy little push button one that’s fitted as standard.
on my Norton I used a Jap style one and mounted under the lever, put a small socket head bolt in to locate on the plunger

Screenshot_20240416-182108_Facebook.jpg

One of my ideas is to mount the (or rather a) master cylinder on the triple clamps...
In other words, run a cable from the handlebar down to a mst cyl.... and this fitted behind a neat cowl perhaps...... there is a Sportster sheet-metal cowl that bolts right up to any SG set of fork clamps.....
This one...... not the aluminun oneView attachment 1201007
... the idea is to try and get the observant people to do a double-take at a cable-actuated dual-disk set-up....

edit: Oops. fergot to add:
the cable idea above, coupeled with internal throttle, internal wiring and a jocky pedal...... would result in one very clean set of handlebars.....

yeah, i'm working on a cable-pull M/C setup hidden between the tanks.
initially i got a fab-kevin setup, but it's too small diameter, 9/16", 14mm something like that. i still have it.
i then looked at those 'karting' type master cylinders, but they just weren't suitable, again too small bore and somewhat messy to install.
after searching hi and low for a suitable m/c i ended up using a 5/8 to 3/4" rear-brake m/c, later HD, softail/fxr whatever,
this is for twin disc, 8-pot in total setup so needs to move enough oil.

not the best photos, this was when it was work on progress.
haven't access to my final photos of it all at the mo.
i made the brackets, tacked it all up with my mig. but then the machinist/fabricator i work with tigs it all up sweet like.
an important factor was that i wanted the cable-mount to look like it was part of the head casting.
i know it won't be seen, but i know it's there and thats what matters.

M/C mounted to frame.
rubber boot is removed as i was dickin' about trialling stuff.
frame repair 9.jpg

OCD cable mount. b-e-a-utiful.
brakecyl6.jpg

mockup gives you an idea of the setup
mousetrap cable used for brake so matches the mousetrap cable on the clutch side.
symmetry is everything.
brakecyl4.jpg

The MT-cable is modded, cutting off metal-pressing, cut off nipple-tip and thread remaining swageing
screw the clevis on.
final cable is a custon venhill to correct dimensions. this is a test/draft cable.
you could tow a car with that cable?
cable mount.JPG

this is the mount for the m/c and lever.
frame is upside down, so you're kinda looking down onto the cross-tube, yeah?
m/c bolts up through that square hole. gusset for rigidity and the lever mounts in any of the x4 position for various leverage combos.
bottom position has maximum mechanical-advantage, but also requires most travel on hand-lever.
highest position will be smallest mechanical-advantage, but requires least travel from lever.
frame repair 8.jpg

anyway, thats the deal.
sorry for the derailment gazza.
i suggest you tap into the brake tee under the yokes.

i drilled and tapped my brake-tee bolted under the lower yoke for the banjo-switch to get rid of it from the bars.
obviously it's not wired up in the pic, but you get the idea.
had to use the spacer to fill the gap where a banjo would normally be. copper washer either end to seal it.
could fit a generic hydrau-switch, but they tend to be much larger OD than those banjo switches?

View attachment 1200877

twin four-pot front end.
View attachment 1200878

Get a 3/8th hydraulic switch off Amazon £5.80 , thats what I used for my rear brake and mount it as above

Intermotor 51600 Brake Light Switch,Black https://amzn.eu/d/1SFollU

I have a Mini brake light switch in a T hidden in the nacelle. I've run my brake hose through the handlebars so it disappears next to the MC and reappears behind the left hand leg. No wires and no switch in sight.

Back