Tent space at the International Rally

Gez

Club Member
My son and I probably can't make it to Malton till the Friday (lunchtime ish) and was wondering if there would normally still be enough space left for us/bikes/tents?

I hope so too, I won't get there till about 7pm on Friday (work :cry:).
I was in an entirely different field at last years International, they wouldn't let us in :LOL:

My son and I probably can't make it to Malton till the Friday (lunchtime ish) and was wondering if there would normally still be enough space left for us/bikes/tents?
Hi Gez / Rob.
Camping space will not be an issue. We have three full size rugby pitches at our disposal along with the pitch perimeter areas.
Look forward to seeing you there.

I hope so too, I won't get there till about 7pm on Friday (work :cry:).
I was in an entirely different field at last years International, they wouldn't let us in :LOL:
Same happened to me. Arrived at 8.30 to find the gates shut and shoved into a side field of stubble.
Annoyed to find a couple of vans and non Harleys were allowed to camp in the main field.

Too old for that malarkey. But back in the mists of time non Harleys were put in a separate area at a Harley Riders rally.
Indeed they were. An absolutely brilliant way to encourage people to join this club, don't you think?

I consigned that particular bit of petty inverted snobbery to the dustbin of history at Walesby in 2009, and I make absolutely no apologies for doing so. The motorcycling community has far too many divisions already without inventing any more.

Indeed they were. An absolutely brilliant way to encourage people to join this club, don't you think?

I consigned that particular bit of petty inverted snobbery to the dustbin of history at Walesby in 2009, and I make absolutely no apologies for doing so. The motorcycling community has far too many divisions already without inventing any more.
So instead of me spending in access of £16,000 on a new Harley (And what a beautiful bike it is too) I could have bought a £200 twist N go and still got in regardless?
If I had seen my self on a Triumph, Ducatti or whatever I wouldn’t have joined the Harley Riders Club.
I’m not gonna get in a row about this Kev, It’s just my point of view. I respect your’s too👍🏻

To be fair, if you had bought a £200 twist and go you wouldn’t get there till Sunday afternoon anyway…😀
Region 7 members may recall a Talgarth where I ended up attending on my 110cc commuter scoot as both my 45 and Sportster were out of commission.

60 miles each way, it bossed the run probably as quickly as I would have done on the 45, but my arse ached for a week afterwards, never again!

@320roj by segregating the allegedly "inferior" machines (because that's exactly what you're inferring by doing so) you are not being welcoming to would-be Harley riders who want to see what the fuss is all about, nor to partners. wives and indeed children of existing riders who often don't have a Harley of their own. And furthermore, the price of the bike is no guarantee of either its class or its quality. Thirty years ago, Harleys were rare and exclusive and you could get away with it. Now, whether you like it or not, they're as common as muck.

Put simply, it's counter-productive to the club ethos of being welcoming, because it feeds the image of us being stuck-up buggers who think they're better than everyone else just because of the badge on their tank.

Last edited:
The non-Harleys were NEVER put in a sin bin or looked down upon, it was a rally for Harleys (and Indians) and we showed great motorcycle loyalty by making a means by which they needn't be turned away. Sometimes a bike in the visitor enclosure could be one many of us would love to own.

The non-Harleys were NEVER put in a sin bin or looked down upon, it was a rally for Harleys (and Indians) and we showed great motorcycle loyalty by making a means by which they needn't be turned away. Sometimes a bike in the visitor enclosure could be one many of us would love to own.
Sorry Paul, whilst never wishing to fall out with you, I'm calling bullshit on that. It was motorcycle apartheid, pure and simple; the excuse for many years was that somebody might turn up on a Honda and leave on a Harley, prompted by one "disappearance" many years ago which turned out to have been an insurance fraud. You and I both know whose bike that was.

As I said above, when Harleys were very much a rarity in this country you could get away with that sort of thing. However, there was always the odd one or two non-Harleys which managed to slip the net and stay on the site, and that used to cause no end of grief from the self-appointed guardians of our integrity who did not wish to see the hallowed turf of Dobrudden Farm desecrated by inferior machinery. I had to put up with that crap when I was an organiser, and I've got better things to do with my time thank you.

Incidentally I have come across the practice outside of this club. I will not say where, but I just don't go to their events any more despite having many good friends in the organisation. Their loss, not mine.

Back