Unexpected moisture

Yup, I've warned of this in the past, the neck of the top of the bellows has to be on a tight spot on the metal - on the black cable and it gathers.
Another thing to prevent on modern Sporties is the twin clock bracket splitting at the bolt heads, it is because under the bracket there is not enough "land" to take the weight, you need some large diameter beefy washers between the bracket and the handlebar clamp.

IMAG3894.jpg

Last edited:
Was suprised to find this but glad I did before the clutch cable starts rotting. Not been ridden since the Ecky Thump gathering in October.
Worth checking out.

View attachment 1199152
I filled the bellows with silicon grease. When I say filled, I actually mean smeared generously on the metal bits then rolled the bellows around to share the love. (y)

Was suprised to find this but glad I did before the clutch cable starts rotting. Not been ridden since the Ecky Thump gathering in October.
Worth checking out.

View attachment 1199152
Why not, after the install/adjustment, encase the thing with shrinkwrap?
It's what I've done to prevent this sort of thing in that sort of spot. Some time back I somehow figgered out that shrink-wrap tubing was useful for more than just electrical protection. Wow, huh? You can use shrink wrap to squeeze grease into the cable housings if you go about it clever (hint: give yersef an extra inch to work with.... you can X-acto off the excess later). I also use this method to cover exposed threads, particularly on the bottom/under/exhaust areas of the bikes; looks a bit less raw and prevents the moisture/rust cycle starting.

Back