Wiring?

TBM

Club Member
My bike hasn't got a key, but thankfully is unlocked. The OEM parts are obsolete, and would probably cost a kidney, so I'm going to tap into the battery to Igntion switch feed and install a simple on/off key, mounted somewhere under the tank.

I've been looking through the wiring diagrams, but although used to old brit car schemes, the HD one is slghtly different. I've been chasing the red wire back from the ignition and got the to area I've highlighted in red. Could someone enlighten me as two what the dots represent?

Thanks, Phil

Wiring.jpg

It would help if you said what model and year.

The dots generally mean a connection, i.e. a mechanical joint.

It's on the diagram near where the ignition switch matrix is.
Switch FL.jpg

So basically your ignition switch is powered by, the wire to B and operates by making the connections shown in the matrix, so as you say put a switch in the supply to the B terminal on the back of the switch.

Ign.jpg

Ig Dia.jpg

Thank you - it is a 1984 FLTH.

I was confused - in my 'red area' the top black dot seems to follow the convention of the key, showing a connection, but the bottom black dot just seems to stop, and has a circle round it, with two square 'wings'.

I can tap off the ignition switch, but was wondering if there was anything nearer the rear of the engine I could splice into.

Found this lovely bunch of wires under the seat.

They are going forward, under the tank. Do you think it's safe to assume that the thicker red wire (rather than the thinner one) is heading towards the ignition switch? Seems a good place to splice a switch into.

IMG_20240414_165023.jpg

I need to get the tank off soon, so will have a further explore - I was hoping for a wiring guru to save me the hassle!

Have to agree with the others assume nothing... But what I would say from your picture is while you are at the wiring, clean and grease those starter Solenoid connections and if you can get a rubber boot to cover them to save issues down the road, it's already looking corroded!

Have to agree with the others assume nothing... But what I would say from your picture is while you are at the wiring, clean and grease those starter Solenoid connections and if you can get a rubber boot to cover them to save issues down the road, it's already looking corroded!
Thank you - boot ordered!

I'll have a better look at the weekend, but from studying the wiring diagram, parts lists and photos, it seems the thick red goes from the circuit breaker behind the left hand side panel, direct to the the ignition. I'll get the meter on it and check connectivity, but it seems a good place to tap in. I'll go circuit breaker to new switch then new switch to ignition.

No, see first post - igntion switch is now obsolete and not a tank mount. Only found one secondhand which is in the US $299 plus $80 delivery!
read it as no key , not that the switch has been removed , thought obsolete meant the OEM parts are no longer available

Yes, no key, and an OEM part is not available.
ive changed the mechanical switch for an electronic one on my 71 shovel , parts available through Moto superstore, source the part numbers from motorcycle storehouse but order through moto superstore....

I get a lot of my bits this way , reasonable prices and fast delivery..

Thanks for the links.

I've bought a £20 Doss switch from ARH, and am repurposing the mount that's currently being used for the cigarette lighter, amd bolting it to a convenient bracket that's on the starter solenoid (there is a hole that's begging to be used!). Only need a short run of wires to the circuit breaker and back.

Thanks for the links.

I've bought a £20 Doss switch from ARH, and am repurposing the mount that's currently being used for the cigarette lighter, amd bolting it to a convenient bracket that's on the starter solenoid (there is a hole that's begging to be used!). Only need a short run of wires to the circuit breaker and back.
ok. that's great.

I've got a few bits from moto superstore

passing light bracket
front-wheel hub cap
points cover
plunger seat post
switch
beach bars
plus other parts

Get yourself some Dialectric Grease. Wonderful sticky stuff for any electrical connection. Stops water getting onto anything it is coated with and so stops rust and corrosion. Put some under your new Rubber Boot. Check Ebay, it isn’t expensive.

Back