'06 Automatic Primary Tensioner?

G

grumpygit

Fitted one of these a while back to my '05 DWG to try and smooth out the gear change a bit.

It works well...for a while, but seems to ratchet itself up till its as tight as it will go after a few hundred miles, resulting in a really notchy gearshift.

Anybody else finding this or know of a cure? Do I pull it off and maybe invest in a hydraulic tensioner instead? :confused: I used the HD tensioner because the bike is still in warranty and didn't want any 'problems' in the event of a warranty claim.

Cheers,

Grumpy

Re: '06 Automatic Primary Tensioner?

If you mean HD auto chain tensioner PN 40063-05 there is an interesting thread about this on V-Twin Forum:

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77054

In case you are not a member, here's one of the posts:

A buddy of mine "insisted" that I put one on, said it was the greatest thing since pre-lubricated condoms.

Very easy to install, most tedious part was removing floorboard and primary cover. Ran it for about 200 miles and checked the primary chain cold. It had barely 1/4" of play - waaaay too tight. Did the reset procedure which required removing the primary cover again and reinstalling. Ran it for another 100 miles. On recheck it was the same, almost no slack. Had some whining noise coming from primary area.

Yanked it and put the old shoe back in, adjusted it correctly and it's still perfect. Dealer wrench I know says they are about 50/50. Half of them work OK and the other half ratchet up too tightly. He asked me about how I installed it and confirmed that I did it properly (both times).

Oh yeah, my buddy yanked his too after getting the same results - 0 for 2. POS as far as I'm concerned. JMHO.

No interested in it meself, for the very reason that once it ratchets up there is no return unless manually.
Not 100% about that, haven't seen one in the flesh but thats how I understand it, can't be bothered to look at the instructions for it, all me link have disappeared hehehe.

HB125 works fine fer me.

Seems to be a commom problem, so I think I'll pull it off for now. Don't know if this happens on the '06 bikes, but there's not even an inspection cover on the new ones, so you can't even check it :eek:

Can't do much good running that tight.

Thanks

Just fitted one of these in thanks to Phild's advice...

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]M6-BT01
'01 & up
Big Twins/Twin Cams
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sugg. Retail - $109.99[/FONT]
Seems great so I'll keep you posted.

BTW only about $80.00 >>>HERE<<<

HB125 for me also :)
Fit and forget and definately smoother gear change ;)

Go HB 125 G.G. but hurry, cos rumour has it they may be discontinued soon. Send Battersea a PM i believe he might be able to help you on that. I can personally guarantee the HB 125, one of the best bits of kit i`ve ever bought.

Thanks for the info, guys. HB125 would have been my first choice, but was a bit wary of fitting non HD goodies inside the primary while still under warranty.
The tensioner was a good price on ebay, and had heard good reviews on how smooth the new transmissions were, so figured it it would be worth a shot. You live and learn, eh? I'll think about changing it next time a service is due (just had 10,000 done). Never mind.....anybody want to buy a genuine HD primary tensioner :rolleyes:

Cheers

Back