1985 Harley Davidson FXRP Police Bike with Sidecar

Skip

Last edited:
With a side car the benefits of an FXR chassis is waisted. Would have been cool as if it still had fairing

sold for 12.3 and pics are taken down. Rats!
I was going to ask about the seat mounts, especially the front. I'm looking for a stock non-post sprung solo....... all of which means I'm looking for that particular seat set-up I guess... next stop, locating a Police Special parts book, circa '85 to '90?

Interesting take on crashing - that if anyone is made more aware then it was worth it..?? Anyhow, good moment to share (steal?) a story from a long serving member. Known to many as "Unlucky Dave", he had taken the body off his Big Twin flathead outfit and made a work deck so he could carry bags of building materials. Riding towards some tunnel up t'north he heard some noise, pulled to hard shoulder, pushed down on clutch pedal (for those unfamiliar with the factory foot clutch, there are friction pads which are SUPPOSED to hold it in what position you trod it), hopped off and squatted down alongside bike. Yes, you are well ahead of me - he revved it to increase the phantom noise which shook the bike enough for the weak friction to release the clutch and off went the outfit. Of course the internal wire spiral throttle also stays put so he was running after the amok outfit, which luckily rode up the embankment and tipped over. Whole thing was watched by parked cops who, after finished laughing, came and helped him right the bike and send him on his way.
Might be that some other older members can flesh out some more details to this tale..?

Heavens! The prices of the Police mounting bracket alone make me hit Pause. But it would work handsomely on the '84 frame.........

It has only just occurred to me that Baza has a police type sprung solo seat on his bike which does not have a seat post, perhaps this would help Skip out.

Are you out there with details Baza.

Ron.

Hi Ron
The underseat frame of an (early) FXRP is what I'm looking to find; and have found, much to the chagrin of my wallet. The (later) Glide-type solo underseat frames won't do right for me on the '84 frame.
Thanks for the thought (y)

It has only just occurred to me that Baza has a police type sprung solo seat on his bike which does not have a seat post, perhaps this would help Skip out.

Are you out there with details Baza.

Ron.
Pretty sure BaZa used late model Police Road King saddle, complete with airbag rather than spring. He did a tech article on here at the time, it's probably still exists.

FXR parts are crazy prices now.
Patience, I find as much as anything else to blame, is what keeps me from stepping off into the abyss of thoughtless direction. Money-wise I mean.
But by stint and dint I was able to pull together the seat bracket(s) for 180 instead of 199-300-500.
The t-bar

and the nose piece. Saw one of these NIB for $250... sheesh!

both of these blasted and painted will pass for 'knew'

for a look at the prices......

One of the things that can be done with (or is it to?) an FXR. I was going to post it in the Cafe' Knuck thread but then.... it really isn't quite a cafe' bike ..... is it?

There is everything on my police seat. (y)

Attachments

• Police seat.pdf
    167.1 KB · Views: 144
  • Police seat (2).pdf
    167.1 KB · Views: 136
  • tank1.JPG
    tank1.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 109
  • policeseat07 (2).jpg
    policeseat07 (2).jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 99
  • policeseat07.jpg