1985 Ultra glide classic

DracoDab

Club Member
Hi I have a 1985 ultraglide classic that I recently purchased. I've cleaned the carbs and freshened the fuel. She's stood for a few years and is coughing and backfiring a little. Could anyone tell me the correct plug gap as have new plugs in. Also any other suggestions. She's booked for MOT Tuesday so can't give her a good run yet. Also been advised not to run standing too long as heat can damage the regulator rectifier at the front.

Plug gaps 40 thou i would be tempted to whip the carb off and clean the jets including the air bleed also the fuel tap gauze filter too especially if its been stood it means removing the tap as it stands on top of it into the tank and may be new set of plug leads if its still got the originals…..

Had new tap couple of months ago but will definitely change Ht leads. Not sure where push rod filters are though. Really need to find a manual lol

Had new tap couple of months ago but will definitely change Ht leads. Not sure where push rod filters are though. Really need to find a manual lol
If you become a member of the Club you will have access to Harley Davidson Workshop Manuals. Worth their weight in Gold. 👍🏻😂

Only one filter, a washable gauze, located in between the oil pump and the base of the rear pushrod, looks like a flat screw head screw, just undo lift out & wash... many people don't know its there!!

Back