76 amf 125 ss

C

chopp124

just picked up my first harley 76 amf 125 ss. in decent condition. sat in basement for 30 years. 700 miles on it pretty much all original. was told it was a 250 but found out by vin, not the case. can i get some info on it. what there worth, any tips on restoring and best place for parts.

Re: 76 amf 125 ss

Hi there, many of us believe the 125 was a more sound engine than the 175/250/350 as it had a longer history. It should be a good Bantam-esque mount, the bore is chrome plated and has only one chance for a maximum .005" hone otherwise it is junk. Some electrical componants are hard to find and may need wiser people than I to source working alternatives. Chrome is not that good and the exhausts can rot before your very eyes. That aside it is an agile fun ride with a useful enough performance. I have both the parts book and manual for this machine, happy to look up stuff if it helps.

Good luck with getting this back on the road, would love to see it. Brings back happy memories of my own SS125 bought new in 1977, very similar to this although the tank striping was a lttle different, more of an 'S' rainbow design, same orange colour though. Nice bike for a learner although nowhere near as fast as the Japanese stuff about at that time, went round corners surprisingly well, despite the square profile tyres! Happy days!

2430408249_010af118b5.jpg

Good luck with getting this back on the road, would love to see it. Brings back happy memories of my own SS125 bought new in 1977, very similar to this although the tank striping was a lttle different, more of an 'S' rainbow design, same orange colour though. Nice bike for a learner although nowhere near as fast as the Japanese stuff about at that time, went round corners surprisingly well, despite the square profile tyres! Happy days!

2430408249_010af118b5.jpg

That'll have been a '76 then, same as my 1st Shovel

To answer your original post, you'll find some links on Google here.

They're not worth much. I was offered one with an MOT, and non-original paint. General feedback on here was that the V11 was worth more than the bike, and parts weren't easy, but don't let that put you off.

I wish I'd bought it now, but I have 4 bikes already, so perhaps I just got lucky... :wink:

I am after one for Joanne to pass her test on, if anyone knows of one for sale, PM me.

Back