883-1200 sporty or XB12X???

devon.john

Club Member
I am thinking seriously of building a traily type sporty, but was looking at the XB12X .
the Buell seems to tick all the boxes and the price is within my budget around ?4000.

i need some info on what to look for IF i decide to go down this route.

i am 6-4" so the seat hight wouldn't be a problem , i see the silencer is prown

to rust is there anything i should look at??

i have seen some with 17k going for around ?3500-?4000 is this the sort of price i should be paying??

john

Re: 883-1200 sporty or XB12X???

loved mine John and it was more than capable of doing some decent mileage, i had the XT with the side cases and top box.

Ive often looked at one again since as a second bike but havent yet.

The stock pipe is awful and rusts real quick, people either replace it with a after market stainless system (i had a remus) or you can get the stock pipe cam-coated and it lasts a hell of a lot longer, in fact im sure some dealers were doing that under warranty at one point.

there are certain things that people complain about like snapping belts (you can get a after market tension-er which improves longevity) and wheel bearings. No worse than any harley:D

IMO a comparable bike to the BMW GS i had (1100)but a hell of a lot more fun to ride:D

thats what i was thinking Neil.

this would be the next step on from the MT and the ideal winter bike for me.

by reading the rider reports it not that bad on fuel ,

this now is a factor as for me most of my riding seems tobe fair distance.

there must be a few buells in the club so please make a comment on the good the bad and the ugly.

john

John, see if you can find one for a test ride, I was going to trade my sportster for one 2 years back but when I took it for a test ride I hated it. I couldn't get a good comfortable riding position and because the oil is in the frame I got very hot when riding in town traffic. As I said test ride one if you can.

i have had my uglyseas now for five years and mainly use it for commuting and the odd blast out and hooligan session. had lots of probs with it in the first two years basically everything that turned or spun has been replaced but since then no probs at all. not bad on fuel mid 40's unless left brain at home but do get stiff arse easily but i do have a cocyx problem. the bike does have a high grin factor though. exhauste are shite i just paint mine every couple of months with high temp exhaust paint no great hardship but will be replacing it later this year probably with an Albert system off the UKBEG site.

The Uly is a great bike John. Get a test ride and take one out for a couple of hours.It will suit your height fine. I'm 6' 5" and it fits me like a glove. Mine is an 07 model and came with the lower seat. I replaced it for an 06 seat which is higher but more comfortable on a long run. I have had no problems with mine.
The frame gets warm on your right thigh due to the rear cylinder proximity, but is not a problem. I fitted an aftermarket screen from Cee Bailey (Google it). The lights were poor at night so I fitted some aftermarket spots, ?20 from a 4x4 centre. I also fitted Caribou Luggage from the states.

The newer models come with heated grips, I retro fitted a set to mine. I replaced the exaust with a stainless stealth can. I also have a garmin mount that is fitted to the front auxillery power socket. there is also one at the rear under the seat. I have a mini amp in the handle bar bag and a speaker fitted to the bars. On a long run at around 80 I get over 60 mpg. It carrys luggage with ease & the triple tail can be used as a pillion backrest or folded flat, as a rack.

carabous.jpg

DSC00322.jpg

DSC00301.jpg

loaded.jpg

Or you could get a sporty and do this.

TrailSporty.jpg

John, see if you can find one for a test ride, I was going to trade my sportster for one 2 years back but when I took it for a test ride I hated it. I couldn't get a good comfortable riding position and because the oil is in the frame I got very hot when riding in town traffic. As I said test ride one if you can.

The fuel is in the frame and the oil is in the swing arm. The heat generated on your right thigh is caused by the rear cylinder. Very nice if you ride on cold days.:439:

Mick i am glad you replyed to this post as i no your a fan of the XB12X

i was at first going to go down the sporty route butas i got pricing up the bikes it would be alot of extra expense going this way.

i then started looking at the Buell i was surprised at there prices around the ?4000 mark i think doing a sporty would cost more and IF i had to sell i would find it hard the shift.

i then read up on the BUELL this is what i wanted a HD based bike lighter wait and a trail type, it ticks all the boxes.
i have to sell the MT 350 first then i will get the Buell:wink:
i dont like the original panniers so would fit some alloy type boxes , pluss i see theres a belt tensioner that a must ???
john

The belt tensioner just gives the belt an easier time. I don't have one fitted to my Uly, but we have one fitted to Carols XB9SX. They can be bought from Trojan Horse here:

Free Spirits Modified Belt Tensioner

Reading up on the UKBEG forum is a must for all things Buell

UK Buell Enthusiasts Group • Index page

As I said earlier, Try and get one out for a couple of hours, they really do everything, from scratching, commuting, touring and rallying.

The fuel is in the frame and the oil is in the swing arm. The heat generated on your right thigh is caused by the rear cylinder. Very nice if you ride on cold days.:439:
Thanks, I thought it was the oil but nevertheless hot leg was the result. If I could have been comfortable on it I would have bought it, not trying to dis it just saying test ride is wise.

joined up to the Buell forum, now to sell the MT

and Topsy see you and the wife at Talgarth?

john

Hi John,

I bought a 2005 XB12X last year, 9000 miles, full luggage for ?3000. Bargain!
It's a great bike, comfortable and good fun to ride. I put 2" risers on mine as the bars felt too low..it's perfect for me now.
I know the luggage doesn't look that cool but it's good quality (Hepko & Becker).

Cheers....:439:

SNAP, Misfit!

I've just picked up my 2006 XB12X for the same money, luggaged up too. I'm still getting to know the bike but so far, so good.

Jon

Back