95 inch advice

Mr B

Hi, I am thinking of modifying my 03 RKC to 95 inch during next winters lay up. I would like to hear from anyone that has a tried and tested combination of parts that made this model move quicker.
What I want is 95 inch and gear drive cams. What else is reccomended...oil pump, etc. Is the stock clutch and drive belt adequate.

I know that the engine was originally designed as a 95 in., but was it a strong one or was it stressed at this capacity. I want a bit more go between 60 and 80 mph without sacrificing the town riding reliability.
I already have a Power Commander so a new map to suit isn't a problem and by the time I do it I will be running Rinehart Tru Duel exhausts.

I have searched the net for advice and everyone claims that their products are the best, so I am asking anyone who has done this mod and is happy with the results to reveal their combination of parts.
By asking now...I will have plenty of time to collect the right parts.

Thanks in advance for any replies,....there must be a few of you out there that have done this.

Brian.

Re: 95 inch advice

When I upped mine to 103ci, the most important upgrade was the se lock up clutch. I tend to open to the stops at times and the standard clutch can't take the sudden surge of power so it can mangle the gearbox on the strokers. a number of people out there run with just the 95 barrels as that gives you quite a bit more stomp that stock. I've kept the stock belt and have had no problems with that at all despite the fact I run throughout the year rain snow or sunshine. I even got 9500 miles out the stock tyres !!!!

HD cast flat top pistons, you might need to widen the intake relief to accommodate the valve, best to do it anyway as a precaution then measure the relief and take into account when the milling heads.
IMO, go with S.E. 1550 cylinders
Andrews TW-37G cams
Stock heads milled/shaved to 82cc chambers
Cometic .030 head gaskets.

37's like 82cc combustion chambers (remember to take into account the valve relief and deck height).
Combustion chamber volume can vary a bit from head to head but you want 82 cc with the cometics and 37's for 9.6:1 and about 180psi cranking compression.
With the right pipes you should get close to 100/100, probably just under.

Stock pump is fine, Fueling is a waste of money unless going bigger than 95"
Clutch is fine *if* you add a VPC, expensive but well worth the money, locks up as the RPMs get higher.
Hippo'll send you one at (US price) global priority, just ask him to send it USPS, (not UPS) value $30.
See: http://www.harleyhog.co.uk/hippovpc.htm

Nowt wrong with the belt if well maintained.

Also see:
http://www.harleyhog.co.uk/1550/bbonline.htm

You might want to consider leaving the stock heads *as is* and go with Andrews 26's for power from about 2,6RPM or so and up.

My
2cents.gif

I s a VPC more expensive than a new higher duty clutch ?
As suggested a set of 95 barrells just fine on there own.
I will be going to geared cams in the future.
the only drawbacks are fuel ecconomy and showing up defects in standard runing gear such as shocks, brakes etc...

S.T.Chapman said:
I s a VPC more expensive than a new higher duty clutch ?
They're about $200 or more, they make effort to pull the lever very easy depending on which VPC model.
Even better is to install the ramps out of the REDUCED EFFORT CLUTCH KIT, number 36808-05 AND the VPC.
You don't need the whole kit, just the ramps, forget about the spring.

Outer ramp 25605-00A
Inner ramp 25604-00A

Less than $20 for both if bought in the states.

Both the VPC and the ramps will make pulling the clutch lever like setting a hot knife on butter, best thing is that the harder you get on it, the more the VPC makes the clutch *bite* using centrefugal force.

If you have an 04 or 05 you have a lighter spring than previous years (touring anyway). i.e 03 - 02 and earlier have a stiffer spring = harder to pull the lever.
04-05 stock clutch spring is lighter, easier to pull.
One could get the reduced effort kit with the ramps and the spring and it'll be even easier.
As far as I know the spring in the kit is slightly lighter than 04-05.

Anybody thinking of getting a VPC, just e-mail Hippo, addy's in the link above.
He'll advise on which VPC for you'll need for the mods you've done.

Stock plates are fine with the VPC, any slippage if you've got a monster motor, just add a S.E. spring

Last edited:

I went with SE barrels, SE hi-comp pistons, standard heads, clutch etc plus SE203 cams and had no problems at all!! Maybe I'm just a wimp!! :D

Sorry guys, I disagree....:(
As Brian has intimated, the TC was designed as a 95 in the first place, and the MoCo have pulled a fast one when it comes to the upgrade from 88 to 95.
I upgraded my 2001 FXD to a 95 with SE 203 Cam Kit and that is it, nothing else. I have had no issues with the clutch, gearbox or owt else; I did part with the stock carb which was already Stage One/Power Commander, in favour of a Miki 42 and a set of 4" SuperTrapp 2 in 1 Pipes, but otherwise no change and no Problems!!!!!!!
Granted, you can flash the cash and get other bits added and upgraded, but if you are like me (which you probably are not, but.....:rolleyes: ) and cash is sometimes an issue, then why spend more when it does the job anyway???
I know this will probably solicit a volatile response....I apologise, but I don't want Brian to get the wrong idea and go out and waste his dough!!!:)

Granted, my posts about clutch upgrades are more to do with comfort rather than necessity.
Good for reference if slippage occurs if whoever does whatever to the motor.

Thanks everyone for the replies....very informative. Is there anymore input from anyone else. I would rather do the whole job properly first time around, instead of finding out 6 months after it's done that I should have also fitted this or that as well.

AND... I will become a member of this club in July, to get me 18 months membership......just so Baza knows.

Brian.

I have just finished putting my engine back together this afternoon.

My bike was an EFI Standard with a stage 1 and I did a bit of a change around for the 95".

I got black barrels and zero miles black '06 heads from US ebay, paid $200 for the lot.

Found a US garage, Big Boyz Cycles in Maine, they bored the cylinders for $130, ported the heads for $360 including upgraded valve seals, and hey supplied the SE flat tops, cometic head gasket and a SE top end gasket.

All was fitted over yeasterday and today, could have been done ina day but went out for breakfast, needed to get a piston ring compressor (you can't squeeze these in easily) and then broke a bolt from the rocker suport plate on the front cylinder........so I finished midday today, stuck on the PCIII, loaded up a 95" map and hey F@ckin presto.

Total cost for 95" and ported heads......?475 plus a few quid for tools.

I would hazard a guess that your local stealer will want that for the SE barrels alone.

Next year CAMS CAMS CAMS and more CAMS

PS ....anyone got a PC3 map for 95" with stock cams?

The new 06 heads when *tickled* are meant to give very good results.
Nearly equal to S.E. performance heads if ported correctly.

No oil consumption like the 05 heads, better than 04's and previous.

You did well.

05_vs_06_exh_ports.jpg

05_intake.jpg

06_intake.jpg

Exhaust flanges are different as well, I think the 06's is on the left.
Did you have any trouble fitting you throttle body to the intakes?

06_exhaust_flange.jpg

06exhaust_flanges.jpg
Exhaust

Negative, was already aware of the 05-06 differences.

Found a dealership in Boston that had the 06 flanges in stock, $13.00 the pair including seals.

But, got to say went into a dealership in Concord New Hampshire and said I wanted 06 manifold flanges and the fool on the counter said I needed a complete new manifold at $600, nearly browned my pants...

A few phone calls to Big Boyz Cyles and a visit to Lebanon HD in New Hampshire, (fantastic service), and they correct parts were identified and located. The parts guy nearly punched we when I grabbed his cheeks (face) in excitement....

All I have to do now is sort out a decent Power Commander map, the maps on the website for 95" builds all mention cam changes....

Hi

You could look no further than the classified adds for a 1550 kit. See http://www.hdrcgb.org.uk/cgi-bin/cl...splay_db_button=on&db_id=6703&query=retrieval

I can also rebore your 1450 barrels and supply SE pistons to match. Fitting service available by arrangement.

I supply VPC kits for all Harleys at very competitive prices and Hydraulic kits should you want the lightest action clutch in the world!

I have fitted VPCs to my 1450 Dyna and 1340 Ultra, they really transform the clutches withoiut loosing any bite. The addition of a hydraulic clutch can reduce the effort needed to japanese levels....

Man from Concord was a little mis-informed.
To make sure I called our local man Barry Gerolame. http://www.bcheads.com/index.html
The earlier manifold will fit on the 06 heads with the correct flanges, did you have any fitment issues getting the flange bolts in?
If any of you have question or problems Barry is one of the foremost guys in the industry & a stand up guy.

The flanges did the trick, no problems at all, the only problem I had at all was that rocker support plate bolt, it broke in two whilst torquing it up, luckily there was about 1/4" exposed above the head. I very gingerly attacked it with a stud extracter but it didn't have enough stud to bite, then my mate said F it, get some mole grips on it, so we did and it was loose, there seemed no reason as to why the bolt had broken.

But then again the engine was rebuilt a few months ago by Harley Birmingham and if he'd over tightened it then that might explain it.

As for US dealers, the Concord guy knew less than me, the guys at Paramount in Boston and Tilton HD both knew their onions, Ireally did nearly sh1t a brick when the concord guy said $660 for the intake manifold. WHen I bought the heads they were advertised as 2005's, the dealer that sold then, Grand Teuton, screwed me over a little me thinks...
but luckily to my advantage.

Back