96 Road King

T

Tony

Hi All, Just got a 96 Road King, 1200 miles on the clock, Lovely bike but what the hell is that noise coming from the front end. So here is the question..... how do I get rid of the horrible rattle from the front calipers.
Any help will be gratefully received.

ps, Anyone got an MPH speedo for the above, mine's KPH and the tippex keeps coming off...

Re: 96 Road King

Tony said:
Hi All, Just got a 96 Road King, 1200 miles on the clock, Lovely bike but what the hell is that noise coming from the front end. So here is the question..... how do I get rid of the horrible rattle from the front calipers.
Any help will be gratefully received.

ps, Anyone got an MPH speedo for the above, mine's KPH and the tippex keeps coming off...
Bet somebody put the anti-rattle shim in wrong.

Thanks Phild, Will check as advised and get back......

Take em off Mate, you'll find the braking unimpaired.

Hope the illustration blows up OK. Cant make it upload any bigger. Might help to get the order of assembly right.

Thanks for the info guys,:) Stripped the calipers down this afternoon, didn't find any shims or anti rattle devices, so greased the pins and reassembled with new pads...... Still got the pads rattling on the disc. :mad:
What am I doing wrong ??

on the diagram posted previously, i think it's item No.8 looks like a bent piece of steel, that should be wedged between the pad and the pad carrier. If it's missing get another one.
Seen the pad friction material come away from the backing plate in the past and that causes clunking and rattles. If you have had the caliper off this would have been apparent.

Hope this helps.
:)

you will definately need them fitted to stop pads rattling around,part no 44061-83 for 96 RK about ?2.00 each.Make sure you fit them correctly or rattle will still be there after you fit caliper,which means starting again.

This better to see?

Last edited:

Rattles just as much without the shims as if they are in wrong. Number 14 on Dermots blow up.

Yep, that did it.:D :D
Thanks for the help. See you at Talgarth.
Tony...........

I genuinely thought the ''anti rattle shim'' post was a wind-up, Phil !

:D
I had never heard of that!! LOL!!! You learn something every day on here.

kiwidave said:
I genuinely thought the ''anti rattle shim'' post was a wind-up, Phil !

:D
I had never heard of that!! LOL!!! You learn something every day on here.
:D :D :D

Back