98 Sportster rear wheel shim advice please

Hodgie

1998 883 xlh with stock spoked wheel.

Read around this but as usual much conflicting information out there.

Question 1 - Shims and top hat washer assembly on the pully side, or rota side ???

Question 2 - thickest shim into the hub first followed by remainder of shims then the top hat washer ???

Question 3 - raised boss on top hat washer orientated towards the bearing ???

Thankyou in advance.
Hodgie.

Is this forum still alive??? All the knowledge and experience in this club yet no response ???

I looked, we had a '98 Spoked wheel Sportster, but far too long ago to remember.

I take it the confusion is the Parts Books shows the shim pack on the Sprocket side & the Manual on the Brake side!

There is often discrepancies between Parts Books & Manual, as H-D often use previous version diagrams, remember the Parts Book primary purpose is to detail parts and give numbers to order replacements (It can often be used to help identify parts too.)
The manual will give the process of carrying out a task.

A note here:- It is also not uncommon for H-D to have used previous pictures in the manual too, which are not correct for the model the manual covers, (I came across this just last week I will put below).However generally the method statement is correct, more so for a model that has been around a while as there is a process for dealers to report inaccuracies to get manuals updated.

So, as I no longer have the printed manual I Downloaded the one from the link on this Forum, this being a Downloaded one from H-D fairly recently should have any inaccuracies from early prints corrected and up to date.

Unless someone comes up with a definitive answer I would follow the process from that!

There is great value in either taking a picture or the laying out of dismantled components in there original order, a lesson I have learned a few times over the years!

98 w 1.jpg
98 Manual

98 w 3.jpg
98 w 2.jpg

98 Parts Book

With regards the Manual using old drawings in this case, when replacing the front wheel on an M8 Softail with ABS I was putting the ABS cable bracket on and thinking, which way does it go on, I check on the TC Softail and the other M8, they are on opposite ways, check the Manual and guess what it has the picture of the TC front wheel set up! (There is no mention in the text as to which way the bracket goes, this is where actual pictures help!)

So I then look at Photos of our bikes and H-D new bike in Dealers etc. and yes TC have them one way M8s the other, but the point being the Manual has the wrong picture in it & I checked a couple of years to current M8 and it's still the same!

The offending drawing. (The M8 has a hollow axel & no nut, this is the same drawing from the TC Manual)

Softail ABS.jpg

M8

ABS Cable Fr Wheel M8.jpg

TC

ABS Cable Fr Wheel TC .jpg

Thankyou all. Sorted now. Religiously lay all components out in order as I dismantle but they got knocked over before I took a photo (another habit). Just wanted to be sure. Thanks again all.

It's common for older pictures to be used on both parts books and factory manuals. Think about what the book is telling you and if it seems wrong it may well be. All part of the fun/frustration of Harleys.scratch_head

Back