Advice on buying a CityX please

C

Cybertec?

Hi guys first time in this section, need a change of ride
...riding a Road King (which I love!) but as the good lady now rides, don't need the carrying power...and its a bitch to get in and out of our storage...so I had a look around at the new XR1200....mmmm....and I sort of fancy the City X...so what do you reckon...any glaring probs?...is it o.k. 'straight out the box' or does it need fettling to stage1(?) before I should throw a chubby thigh over it.....

Riders have a 2006 'new one' for ?4995 is their a reason for this? should I avoid and go for a new one?

Cheers folks

Chris

Re: Advice on buying a CityX please

Chris,

I am on my second Firebolt, first a '9' and now a '12'. I seem to think the City is a '9'?

The feature of the Buells is that underslung exhaust, with equal length pipes and siamesed together. It enables the engine to give far more power than the Sportster versions from which it is derived. So other than race tuning it you are not going to get far more out of it!

The '9' gives around 90bhp and the '12' 101bhp, both with a remarkable spread of torque. I don't think you will be disappointed with their performance, or find it wanting!

The only comment I would make is that the silencer is painted steel and will not keep its looks for long. I have a polished stainless one on my '121', which also makes a rather more rewarding sound!

If you can try one out I challenge you not to have a silly grin within minutes!

Get a test ride, Chris. I took out a Firebolt the other day. Solid as a rock, lovely handling, not bad exhaust note, but.... just not my cup of tea.

PS: Actually it may have been a Lightning. It was a 1200 2008 model anyway and not the lower one or the long one.....

Chris, will you get all your camping gear on Nics sporty and your Buell?

Buell CityX long test

Cheers all.... I needs a change, I don't seem to want to ride the roadie and would rather be on Nics Sportie.....as for camping, I got a big comfie campervan with all the comforts......

I had a city x a while back Chris & loved it.

I've got the 1200 now which is fab too.

Main difference I find is that the city x is better around town. The slightly smaller engine doesn't need as many gear changes as the 1200. The 1200 hates 30mph and I'm constantly changing between 2nd & 3rd :frown:

The exhaust looking shabby is apparently an ongoing thing. I just had mine changed on warranty after about 18 months. This new one has a 2 year guarantee which I'm told I'll be needing another new one within this time !!!! They rely on you putting another exhaust on it like we do on our harleys.

Try it though Chris. It's an absolute barrow full of fun to ride :439:

You might find it a bit small for you Chris. Carol has a XB9 CityX & it fits her like a glove. It's a fun machine & much faster off the line than a 12 due to the lower gearing.

The best choice for the taller rider is the Ulysses or the STT.

They both do it all. I came from a streetglide to a Ulysses & wouldn't go back. It tours, scratches & generally hoons about with the best of them.

Get a test ride. the new XB12XT comes with luggage as standard & is slightly lower than the XB12X.

The benifits over your roadking are: Less weight (By well over 200lb), excellent fuel consumption (I Get over 50mpg) No chrome to polish, just throw a bucket of water over it after a ride & yer good to go. More individual..:)

Get a test ride on both, you won't regret it.

More info HereAnd Here

Back