Alloy corrosion

P

peter b

Newbie on the loose....

I've pulled the trigger on a standard low miles Street Rod but on closer examination the polished alloy parts are all suffering from slight erosion. It was dry stored in a wet garage for a few years!

If I start polishing with the likes of Solvol Autowotsit, will I be removing any factory surface treatment or will it just be ok to polish till my arms drop off?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for asking such a dumb question

Re: Alloy corrosion

Parts like that usually have some form of protective treatment but if its eroded as bad as you say sitting on your bum polishing with Autosol is about the only thing unless there is a restoring treatment that puts the lacquer back for protection.

When you do get the shine back use a good quality polish to protect the finish.

Some say that it will be very susceptible to further corrosion, I have not found it to be too bad but it will be a never ending job to keep that shine.

Couple of options assuming the lacquer is peeilng;

Do you ride the bike trough the winter when they salt the roads?
If so then you should consider re-lacquering after you've got it polished, otherwise it will "flower" the very next day after it's had contact with the salt.

If like me you avoid going out on salted roads then you'll be OK just polishing - frequency depends how fussy you are.

My old VFR 750 had a hand polished alloy frame that looked like it had been chromed.
Solvol is ok to get you started but for final "buffing up" it would scratch the finish, I always use a polish called "Peek", wont use anything else.
You'll be amazed at the results.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your replies, as far as I know the bike has never been used on salted roads - come to think of it, its hardly been used!
I can't see any trace of laquer either on the block or the rims but they are all covered in micro pits. The previous keeper tried to clean it up and spent some time with the Solvol A but its still slightly marked.
I must be a fussy bugga

the alloy parts are not coated ,polish away till your arms drop off!

Back