Anyone thinking of selling a shovel?

seanofmacc

Club Member
Anyone starting to think of parting with their well sorted alternator shovel head with kick and electric?

Open to models as I dont think there was a model i disliked during the shovel period but lighter the better. Was trying out glides yesterday and getting them off the side stand with a knackered left hip isn't going to happen any more and will only get worse

Currently locked out of the for sale board hence posting here.

Pre 78 would be good to avoid taxing and MOT'ing but not a drama up to 84.

Kick start is mandatory, so i can wear out my currently ok right hip.

Up North would be easier

Hopefully my account will be unlocked soon so feel free to send a PM or post on here.

Stock or mild modded, fat open belt primary just fine, . Sadly no rigids (love em but hip again) and no bobber style (personally think they look shit but each to their own).

Must have a reliable sorted engine and box.

Think I am within budget for something in good condition excluding mint Sturgis or Confederates, so if its getting time for a change or you are contemplating a summer change, please feel free to drop me a line. The bike will go to a good home.

Not in any rush to buy but ready to when the right bike at a fair price comes up. Not trying to rob anyone on price but not paying some of the daft prices out there. I am on the shovel head group on FB

Re: Anyone thinking of selling a shovel?

Your requirements seem pretty broad. This is my 1973 FLH. https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1085362. You get what you pay for. :D

A kicker kit is around ?150 new, less if you buy the parts over time. I have some spare bits. I also have a spare tin with a cutout for a kicker.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Thanks for the response, yes i was leaving it somewhat vague so as not to rule out options. If i was to narrow it down to be more helpful then probably an FX of some description

Good luck with the search.

It's only 3 hours by train to me from Macc (I'm from the area).

I am a Knutsford lad by growing up but Macc was a spiritual and actual home on 3 occasions. Now in Northwich if you remember it

^^^^^^ That Sturgis is really lovely. A mate of mine in the northeast was looking at it the other week but he sadly said it was a bit much $$$$$$ for him. It is a reasonably recent import that has been stored for a few years, I think. Rare 1982-FXB-only optional gold wheels/slightly diff paint

Thanks for the links. I had seen the sturgis previously as it?s been up a while and yes they are beautiful however i am in the 8-9k budget ideally otherwise I will be eating into the twin cam engine rebuild budget due immenently. Also probably worth noting The last job on the wide glide was to get shot of the final belt drive to swap for a nice chain so would be a bit sacrilidge to butcher a sturgis to get a chain final. Perversely I like fat belt primaries.

OT (m.o.l.)
Yus, that's a pretty Sturgis all right.

But, of course, my eye was drawn to the '72 FX boat-tail. As ever. And I will restrain myself to count only one rivet. Something odd about the inner primary...... under higher mag it looks like it's got no hole (and no cover for no hole) for the bendix soli. ???
Does anybody know if any inners came with (what appears to be) no hole(s) at that spot. Inquiring minds want to know.
25K! in US bucks! Naw.

Hi Sean.

Have you thought of getting a shovel that is mechanically sound but needing tlc on bodywork etc? That's what I did... work in progress but I am on track for getting a half - decent shovel for a price that is well within your budget. I had to wait for quite a while until the right one came along though.

Mick

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Back