Average speed check cameras rolled out on A316

semmyroundel

Club Member
Hi everyone, on the A316 (chertsey road), I've noticed that they've removed many of the Gatso's.
A new type of camera has been installed, which I believe is an average speed camera.
Now, how to recognise them, theyll be on what looks like black lamp posts, the cameras themselves are abot six inches square, and about 10 inches long, and a pale yellow colour.
Immediately after the camera is a lamp post with three LED lamps on it shining down on the road, where they illuminate at night a white "L" shape painted on the road instead of those series of white lines, presumably they don't need a flash as there's enough light to see the number plate.
A friend who used to be a traffic cop, asked one that is a cop now and he said that he thought they were but have not been commissioned yet.
Still, better safe than sorry.
You'll notice that there'll be several along a strtetch.
I'll see if I can get a picture uploaded.
You have been warmed!

Re: Average speed check cameras rolled out on A316

Worth watching out for everywhere - cheers!

One thing I wondered about is that the cameras are pointed towards the front of the vehicle and the bike has its plate on the rear do these cameras work on bikes?
Possibly the cameras on the carriage way can see but not sure how practical that is.
Well I can only talk about the ones I have seen in Scotland, but maybe there are newer and better systems around.
Does anyone know if they work on bikes?

One thing I wondered about is that the cameras are pointed towards the front of the vehicle and the bike has its plate on the rear do these cameras work on bikes?
Possibly the cameras on the carriage way can see but not sure how practical that is.
Well I can only talk about the ones I have seen in Scotland, but maybe there are newer and better systems around.
Does anyone know if they work on bikes?

I would not put money on them only pointing one way. Nor is it a given that if you go through a section of road with several of these sets of cameras, you can do stuff like stopping or slowing down heavily in between bursts of excessive speed in order to dodge a ticket.

I'm not a great lover of them, but I do have to say that where they're installed in an intelligent manner, they are remarkably effective at actually keeping traffic moving.

Used to be that you only had to change lanes to be 'missed' but I heard that they have taken care of that dodge, just got to be real careful with your right wrist...

Many, many years ago, the highways & byways boffins introduced speed limits by way of a round sign with the speed limit upon it. All you had to do, was keep to that limit. Simple. But, this was not good enough for the budding Jim Clark, John Surtees, Mike Hailwood types who thought that the speed limits did not apply to them. The threat of being caught by police in their panda cars & being fined was not a deterrent. Things got worse & so we now have ANPR, speed camera's & average speed camera's & it's STILL not a deterrent to some, that being fined, banned & having your vehicle crushed will happen. AS per usual, it's the few that spoil it for the many & they only have themselves to blame for all the anti-speed shit on our roads. The man installs all this stuff because we won't do as we're told. Our rides are now spoilt, 'cos we're too busy looking for the sped limit/ camera's/ checking our speed. We all have our fave bit of road where we can let rip, I do, but 60 in a 30 is just asking for it. I for one, would rather ride at 30 than walk at 4mph. Anyone got a good soapbox? This one's creaking under my substantional weight. :)

Back