Axle greasin

T

TJ's

Am i missin something? I'va had a look through the owners book and i can't see it mentions anything about greasing axles. Is this a requirement on Buell and Harley bikes?

Re: Axle greasin

I don't think its part of the service routine but if you ride in the wet and don't use something to protect the axle it can be nearly impossible to remove. This I heard was made worse when they went over to sealed wheel bearings.

Just as i thought!

I've experience of sealed wheel bearings, they're good in the dry but in the wet if water does get in..... it aint coming out!

I use the UKBEG website and they were all on about greasing axles every month!!!!!

I tend to own my bikes for several years, rather than change them when the tyres wear out (a pal of mine does just that!), so clean and grease spindles when changing tyres. That policy has seen me through 40 years of biking! I greased my last Firebolt when changing tyres and had no problems - current one is barely run in.... :60277EB7B04744289C0

Same as me Graham, grease 'em up when changing tyres and never had any probs. It was pointed out to me on the UKBEG site that i should grease up the axle every month atleast, i just thought that was weird as theres nothing mega different on a buell axle to any other bike... How bizzare!

Whenever an axle comes out, put copperslip on the widest parts of the axle. Bearings do have a tendency to join themselves to the shaft otherwise. The full workshop manual states to do this every wheel removal.

Whenever an axle comes out, put copperslip on the widest parts of the axle. Bearings do have a tendency to join themselves to the shaft otherwise. The full workshop manual states to do this every wheel removal.

agree thats what i do an it works for me

Back