Barmouth

J

jim3940

Hi

From Lincolnshire. Got opportunity of going to Barmouth. Whats it like ??

JIm:smile:

Re: Barmouth

The ride through Wales is the best thing about Barmouth, a small seaside town one road through it. been up there a few times as i have family in Snowdonia.
Not too bad if the weather is ok.
enjoy the ride.:smile:

Jim you'll find that the area around Barmouth is great riding country and whilst the town itself ain't up to much the Mawddach estuary that it lies on the mouth of is a stunning place, the mountain Cadair Idris rolls down to Dolgellau to the South with the bigger hills to the North. If you do go then a pub worth a visit is the George III in Penmaenpool, about 15 mins from Barmouth- but there is plenty more to see too.

If you want anymore pointers as to places to camp, ride, drink or whatever just shout.

Thanks to you all.

Very helpful info.

Jim :60277EB7B04744289C0

Jim you'll find that the area around Barmouth is great riding country and whilst the town itself ain't up to much the Mawddach estuary that it lies on the mouth of is a stunning place, the mountain Cadair Idris rolls down to Dolgellau to the South with the bigger hills to the North. If you do go then a pub worth a visit is the George III in Penmaenpool, about 15 mins from Barmouth- but there is plenty more to see too.

If you want anymore pointers as to places to camp, ride, drink or whatever just shout.

What's the beer at the George III ? Is it a real ale place ?.

What's the beer at the George III ? Is it a real ale place ?.

Last time there I had a couple of Ruddles, they do have guest beers too- so yes it is a kinda real ale place and good food and real log fires too. But what makes it worth while is it's location :smile:

Jim why are you posting/asking in: Offshore Riders

Do you know where Barmouth is?...:D :D :D

:D:D:D I did wonder about that as well!

Thanks for that Steppenwulf. I will get myself down there as soon as the weather improves a little. We could do with a drought.:)

Thanks for that Steppenwulf. I will get myself down there as soon as the weather improves a little. We could do with a drought.:)

Been bloody gorgeous here for a while now, the odd shower in the middle of the night- but that's all changing this weekend :frown:

BTW there are two roads to Penmaenpool, the one that is quickest from Barmouth takes you over a wooden toll bridge- 50p no exceptions. Just thought I'd mention it cos you see loads of bikes fumbling for change as you sit on the quay supping your pint :wink:

Photo of the Pub-

georgefromtheprecapice.jpg

Last edited:

Baza

Clicked wrong area. Should have been one below. Perhaps my glasses need to be stronger or the Jack Daniels needs to be weaker :D
What a lot of brilliant answers and info though.

Jim

Baza

Clicked wrong area. Should have been one below. Perhaps my glasses need to be stronger or the Jack Daniels needs to be weaker :D
What a lot of brilliant answers and info though.

Jim

:D I'll move it down then...

:smile: Thanks for moving it.

When am I thinking of going. Some time this summer I hope. Will it stop raining. Never been to Wales, do you need a passport :D

:smile: Thanks for moving it.

When am I thinking of going. Some time this summer I hope. Will it stop raining. Never been to Wales, do you need a passport :D

In terms of language it's a bit like England. Most speak English but some use Welsh instead of Urdu.:wink: Roads and scenery are magnificent. I asked when you were going because at the moment ie. next couple of weeks I would be up for day or two out. From Manchester Barmouth and back is a pleasant days ride. The idea of the GeorgeIII has pardon the pun wet my appetite.:D

As posted before, loads of really nice roads over there with some bends that tend to trap the unwary, don't want you having to say hello to my sister in law (paramedic). The coast road from Machynlleth to Dolgellau/Barmouth is nice if the traffic is light. If you are thinking of staying over for a night have a look at Bikers Retreat, Trem Hyfryd Guest House, Dolgellau, North Wales, UK It's a hotel in Dolgellau, not stayed in it myself but a mate of mine has.
[FONT=verdana, helvetica]Bikers Retreat, Trem Hyfryd Guest House, Dolgellau, North Wales, UK

Trem Hyfryd
Barmouth Road
DOLGELLAU
LL40 2SP

(01341) 423 192
info@bikers-retreat.com

[/FONT]If you need to stuff your face you could try the Fronoleu hotel up the road about a mile or two outside Dolgellau on the Tabor road, my brother in law is the chef there. here's the info:
[FONT=verdana, helvetica]Fronoleu Country Hotel - Accommodation and Restaurant in Dolgellau, Gwynedd, Wales - Homepage

Fronoleu Country Hotel
Tabor
DOLGELLAU
LL40 2PS

(01341) 422 361

enjoy yourself:smile:
[/FONT]

Thanks for that. Will check it out.

Jim :60277EB7B04744289C0

Back