Battery issues

Dover mike

Club Member
Good evening all hope you are all enjoying the sunshine I have a softail deluxe 2017 and the battery is struggling to start the bike it’s the standard HD battery has anyone upgraded the battery to a better one ie lithium is it any better

The battery is 6 years old, possibly older depending on manufacture date prior to fitment, that's not a bad lifespan.

The battery is 6 years old, possibly older depending on manufacture date prior to fitment, that's not a bad lifespan.
It’s was new 18m ago it just seems to struggle in the morning when damp but they have checked the bike and that’s all good and the battery and say that’s good just wondering about a bigger amperage battery or lithium

Have you got it on an optimate, or trickle charger? If you have the capacity to do it, then get one. It will help.

You need a known good charger. Take battery off the bike and fully charge it. Take battery to a place that can load test it for you.

Some of the tender chargers do not use the full charge voltage but just ensure a level that ought to start the engine.

Had a similar issue with 2016 Fatboy. Even though it's on an Optimate, occasionally the start would be 'lazy' and only just fire up. I had the battery load tested and there was no problem (15 month old), checked all the usual earth, wiring etc. It turned out to be the siren battery. On that year they still fitted the alarm and siren as standard. Inside the siren unit is a rechargeable 9v battery, mine was fecked. Replaced it and no problem since.

Be very careful if going to a lithium battery. It needs to match to the bikes charging system and will need a charger matched to that particular battery.

They can also catch fire, especially the little battery scooters when on charge. Have a look on line for some scary stuff.

All batteries can be weird, lithium are double weird and need treating differently from others.

Had a similar issue with 2016 Fatboy. Even though it's on an Optimate, occasionally the start would be 'lazy' and only just fire up. I had the battery load tested and there was no problem (15 month old), checked all the usual earth, wiring etc. It turned out to be the siren battery. On that year they still fitted the alarm and siren as standard. Inside the siren unit is a rechargeable 9v battery, mine was fecked. Replaced it and no problem since.
Hi mate absolutely amazing thanks I don’t suppose you know what you bought as I would imagine they are all the same

The main battery is standard Harley. The original siren battery was a make I'd never heard of, I replaced it with a Duracell rechargeable 9V1 170 mAh Battery, link here . I think any reputable rechargeable 9v will do.

Back