Battery noise

Tibbs Art

I have just notice my battery making a slight hissing noise, like a tyre slowly deflating.
It's 32amp Yasa off a 74 Ironhead.
It's only a couple of years old.
Should I chuck it or am I being paranoid?:eek:
I don't need the bloody wiring to fry again.

Tibbs

Re: Battery noise

Should I chuck it or am I being paranoid?:eek:
I don't need the bloody wiring to fry again.

Tibbs

No point chucking it Mate. It won't go very far if it's anything like the weight of the OE. Sounds like it's gassing quietly to it self with all those amps from the mighty generator. Is it a normal acid leak down your shirt with a vent pipe. If so check that the vent is clear. If you don't want to fry the lecky what about an inline fuse in the feed wire from the starter solenoid to the rest of the harness. Seem to remember it's red and goes under the battery and it's normally a fuse wire, (I would check but my manual's out on loan.)

If your battery is making that much noise, then maybe make sure that he regulator is working. It could be that it's not, and you're way overcharging the battery.

As Jeb says, check that the regulator is working.

I think that the nominal battery voltage is 13.2 volts so if you connect a voltmeter an check that when the engine is running there isn't 15 to 16 volts going in continuously. (after the initial start up it should settle to a trickle).

Back