Belt drive and rear wheel alignment

H

hog70

Help please. I'm not sure if this is a real issue or I'm just looking for problems that aren't there.
Bike is an Evo softail 1999 done about 50K. Running fine and was last serviced by a dealer about 5k ago. I took the back wheel out, mainly to give everything in that area a good clean and polish but also to replace the rear sprocket with a chrome one I picked up in a dealer sale. I didn't touch the rear wheel adjusters, but removed the brake, wheel spindle and spacers etc and carefully dropped the wheel. I replaced the pulley after making sure everything was clean, used loctite and the correct torque etc. I inspected and washed the belt, no disernable wear or damage.
Replaced the wheel, again without disturbing the adjusters so it should have gone back with the same alignment it came out. Since it was fairly free (having no brake yet) I spun it. Spinning backwards the belt runs true, without any trace of fouling on the sides of the pulley. However if I spin the wheel forwards within half a dozen turns the belt creeps to the outside edge of the pulley and I can hear it grating ever so slightly as it catches the inside of the pulley outside rim. On looking more carefully at the pulley it would appear the new one has a more defined shoulder where the old one is slightly chamfered in the inside of the outside rim.
If I back off the right hand rear wheel adjuster 3 flats (ie half a turn) the belt now runs true, but at the expense of putting the wheel slightly out of alignment.
Previously I've changed the rear tyre a couple of times without giving a thought to the rear wheel alignment other than to make sure the adjusters were not disturbed and never had a problem. If I hadn't had a go at spinning the wheel this time I would probably be non the wiser. But now I'm paranoid about shredding the belt in the first few miles if I really have got a problem.
Any advice would be most gratefully received.

Re: Belt drive and rear wheel alignment

Is the wheel out of alignment because you have checked it or because you assume it was right in the first place. :)

Pulley should always track to the outside edge rotating forward, inwards *slightly* in reverse.
Not sure if this applies or not to your model.
Use this wee trick with a wire coat hanger and grommet, should be equal each side.
Most models had/have a hole in the swingarm, if not measure from the swingarm axle itself.

wheelalign.JPG

measure the exact distance from the centre of the swing arm pin to the centre of the rear wheel axle, should be the same both sides.
don't rely on the adjusters being the same length to tell you if the wheel is inline

I guess my assumption was that, since everything worked before I took the wheel out and there is no noticable wear to the belt, the alignment was correct before I stripped it down.
Looks like that was wrong. I've just rechecked the measurements after my adjustments to make the belt run true and they now appear to be correct ie 16 1/8" from the centre of the spindle to the centre of the swinging arm bolt. But then again half a turn of the adjuster is only 1/32" so I'm not sure I can measure that accurately, given that I'm trying to measure to the centre of a hex head bolt over an inch a/f.
Is the line up of the pulley really that critical? Given that most people presumably just check the wheel alignment the best they can or just put the wheel back as it was like I was going to do. How many people actually check the belt alignment after lining up the wheel and how many people have problems with the belt wearing prematurely?
Thanks for your helpful comments.

Is the line up of the pulley really that critical?
If you didn't change anything and the wheel alignment is fine, belt tension is within spec foregetaboutit ;)

Once you're sure the pulley is aligned correctly, if the belt still rubs on that pulley and it bothers you, put five thin spacers or one large spacer between the pulley and the hub. Your dealer should have them. It's not a big deal and easily done.

Back