Blown fuse

S

Schoe000

Hi
I have just finished internally wiring the handlebars for my fatty. It involved cutting and extending the wires to the front. When I tested everything and I found that every time I put the brake it blows the fuse. Strange thing is if I just put on the back brake is still blows the fuse and I did not touch the back brake wiring. Have checked and don?t think I have pinched any wires. Was careful when extending the wires not to get them mixed up.

If I had mixed up the wire or pinched a wire I can understand why it blows when I put the front brake on But........ why when the back brake is used by itself?

Any ideas what the fault might be or how to isolate the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Nick

Re: Blown fuse

nick i think yer front brake wire and rear connect somewhere cant remember how i did mine, and it was only a month ago,:eek:

They are connected, probably pinched a wire or broke the switch re-installing the m/cyl.

Thanks Phild

Any idea where on the bike they are connected. I want to isolate the front from the back to test each one?

Cheers Nick

Schoe000 said:
why when the back brake is used by itself?
Schoe000 said:
Any idea where on the bike they are connected. I want to isolate the front from the back to test each one?
You don't say which year or I'm blind LOL.

The back lighting is separate in a manner of speaking, according to the diagram and plugs directly in the the main harness, hence when plugged in they are connected.
If this wasn't worked upon, forget about it, look at the last thing you did, my bet is the wiring at the handle bar switch housing clamps.

Stop light = R/Y and O/W at the handles bars
Undo the switch housings, check the wiring underneath, upon re-assembly use some insulation tape and tape the loom *into* the handlebar dimple before tightening the clamps, less chance of pinching anything this way, insulation tape is hidden under the housings.

harleyhog said:
You don't say which year or I'm blind LOL.

The back lighting is separate in a manner of speaking, according to the diagram and plugs directly in the the main harness, hence when plugged in they are connected.
If this wasn't worked upon, forget about it, look at the last thing you did, my bet is the wiring at the handle bar switch housing clamps.

Stop light = R/Y and O/W at the handles bars
Undo the switch housings, check the wiring underneath, upon re-assembly use some insulation tape and tape the loom *into* the handlebar dimple before tightening the clamps, less chance of pinching anything this way, insulation tape is hidden under the housings.

Sorry it is a 2000 fatty.

Thanks for the advice

Nick

Dermot is right as usual, check your work. Usually the wires are pinched by the brake m/cyl. If you are unlucky you have stripped the insulation off a wire pulling them through the bars. Did you shrink tube them thoroughly where you soldered the wires together?
Also check the wires are in the right holes in the plug under the tank.

Schoe000 said:
Sorry it is a 2000 fatty.
Just confirming the wiring colours for your year.
thumbsup.gif

Back