Bluetooth Intercom / SatNav

L

Livia329

I'm looking to buy a BT intercom to speak to pillion, another bike, sat nav from phone etc. Previously I have had a SatNav with a bluetooth headset however I could barely hear anything due to my bike being so loud... so I sent it back.

I'm wondering if anyone with a loud bike has any of these and can confirm they are decent above 30mph with the engine and wind noise?

I'm looking at the Scala Team Pro: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cardo-SCALA..._sbs_ce_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0WP1A6K2ZNFR11ASW7NS

There's also cheaper ones like this one but I assume it could be a waste of money Bositools 2 X 800m BT Interphone Bluetooth Motorbike Motorcycle Helmet Intercom Headset Wireless Headset - Support Rider to Rider, Rider to Pillion: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

Re: Bluetooth Intercom / SatNav

I've had a Scala G9 for about 5 years, works perfectly, both to pillion, sat nav and bike to bike. Used them on a Heritage, with V&H big shot long, and now on a Road King with V&H slip ons, no issues at all, volume isn't even turned up. Do use them with a Modular Helmet though, not tried with an open face

Got an interphone f4. Cheap now the later ones have come out. Came with 2 sets of kit per helmet, one for open face and one for full face.

audible all the way up to 80mph on SE2 slip ons.

interphone-f4-mounting-brackets.jpg

Thanks guys! looks like the F4 + G9 are around the same price but the G9 includes two sets.

Previously I have had a SatNav with a bluetooth headset however I could barely hear anything due to my bike being so loud... so I sent it back.http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JAGOV...TF8&colid=1W3QQBOV1C9V0&coliid=I27IJ0222NDVRK

One of the most important things for being able to hear is helmet speaker placement. It's often not best putting them in where the helmet has placements for them.

I have the Cardo Scala Team Pro and the wife could only hear me up to about 30 mph. I then measured exactly where her ears were in the helmet and then only moved the speakers about a cm but she can now hear OK up to 70 mph.

I use a set of Interphone F5XT intercoms and my Fat Bob is fitted with V&H Big Shots which are pretty loud, yet don't mess with the speech apart from the odd occasion when a bit of hard accelleration is required.

The intercom volume increases as wind speed increases which is neat and all the controls are confirmed via voice control so going through the menu on the move is easy as every press has a voice confirmation.

The positioning of the speaker is key to good sound and I used foam to pack mine out so they just touch my ears and the sound is great, even through my ear plusg, and I often have my Shark Evoline 2 helmet fully open and speak with Lib at 60-70mph no problem.

At 80mph + though I usually put my glove in front of the mic as the wind hitting it cam muffle the speech, but with the helmet closed at 80mph, it's no problem at all.

These units have an approximate range of 1.2 miles connectivity and 11hr batter life, but also fitted is an RDS radio which is handy on long trips.

You can connect with up to 2 Bluetooth devices and the boom is not on the chin piece which makes life easy when opening and closing the chin piece.

The unit is easily removed if you leave the helmet locked to the bike too, which is an added bonus as they are not cheap.

Thanks Dazzlin, just looked the F5XT up - I don't know whether to get the Q2s or up my budget now, but I have so many other things I want to buy for this bike! I think everyone who owns one knows this feeling :/

Thanks Urrell seen quite a few reviews where people found optimum volume by stuffing foam between the helmet and speakers so I will definitely try this if the volume comes up short. The GPS I got was a crap bit of kit though - thought it may have been too cheap and it was!

I've had a Scala G9 for about 5 years, works perfectly, both to pillion, sat nav and bike to bike. Used them on a Heritage, with V&H big shot long, and now on a Road King with V&H slip ons, no issues at all, volume isn't even turned up. Do use them with a Modular Helmet though, not tried with an open face

Price wise the G9s are coming out on top. I personally use the shark raw, open face. It is a noisy helmet but fingers crossed. That'll be an issue no matter which set I get.

A few years ago, I drove down the M1 from J27 to J25 in the Messerschmitt with the ex-girlfriend sitting behind. It was a dark stormy night, & for the half an hour the journey took, there was complete silence from the back seat. She was so terrified she couldn't speak. That must have been the longest time she ever kept her mouth shut. Even when she slept she snored. I also noticed finger nail marks in the back of my seat.:D:smile:

Sena SMH10's for me.
Not cheap but an excellant piece of kit.

I had a scarla unit y's back soz cant remember which model. Worked fine with tom tom but my phone at the time wasn't B'tooth so no opinion there. Radio had a wire for aerial you had to tape on back of lid and if your head was in front of signal all you had waz loud hisss. So you'd spend time searching for a station only to loose it at every turn in the road or direction change....hopeless.
Lost the unit off my head :( just been using my eyes for the tom tom since nps with that except when the suns out.

would get another Scarla. Although the voice prompts on other units sound good for mode changing on the go

Sena SMH10's for me.
Not cheap but an excellant piece of kit.

We also have the Senas. Got the booms fitted to full face and open face helmets, depending on which bike we're on.
Work well if you remember a couple of things. On an open face you have to shield the mic from the wind by covering it with your hand, (don't set the system to activate on voice for obvious reasons). The jog-dial is a little slow when activating a conversation but just be patient (unlike the missus) and don't press it again 'cos you'll end out listening to radio Luxembourg, or summat else.
Blue-tooth connectivity is excellent so your Sat-nav app will work a treat and if your phone has the functionality the Sena will automatically answer the incoming call.
Yep not cheap but deffo worth it.

Sorry, should have said that before buying the Sena gear I tried the BT intercoms and found them unreliable and poor conectivity. Cheap but not good.

I am using Schuberth intercom system had it since April CARDO system worked well on my stage 1 tuned FXDF with V&H short shots, the important thing with that system is the position of the mic not the speakers, mic too close to your mouth and you cant be heard. great range on it too.

Cards Scala Packtalk, really good piece of kit. Before that Scala G9, did a good job, but gave up the ghost after 5 years. Didn't go down the Sena route as my distributor told me he had replaced quite a few 20s, but the Packtalk had been faultless. We will see!

For 2 person communication I was using cheap Chinese bt v6 intercom (Shark sold it rebranded as SHKLXMBT688IL model). It works amazingly well. With open face noisy helmet with loud exhaust it's usable for up to 40mph. After 40 I can barely hear anything, but a friend of mine with full face can still hear me up to 60. Main con is there's no option of simultaneously talk with more than 2 people.

However I'm thinkin about something called Ejeas TTS. Similar specs to Sena 20s (but limited to a group of 4) for a fraction of the price (?69 on ebay uk). Anyone heard of it?

Back